Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Original Article:
http://www.motorcycle.com//news/bmws-year-in-review-71474.html

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article BMW's Year in Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
956 Posts
So since yer all here please help me out. On another forum there is a question running about the 800 and whether or not it operates on the "Big Bang" theory, both cylinders firing together or alternating. Examples of both have been offered. Everything that everyone comes up with on the web is the press release about the bike which is vague at best. I'm sure that someone here knows, please cite reference.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
So since yer all here please help me out. On another forum there is a question running about the 800 and whether or not it operates on the "Big Bang" theory, both cylinders firing together or alternating.
The Duc L-Twins fire together, don't they? Albeit somewhat staggered? Now I have to go see what Sam Soozook's firing order is.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Staff: that was an interesting and informative article. I didn't know the BMW 1200 had beaten the 1098S in a race, howbouthat? Are you planning similar articles for other manufacturers? Ducati certainly had a huge year in most every aspect, Kawi too. Not quite as much big happenings with Suzuki, Yamahahaha, HD, and Hondawg..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Note that...

I'm sure they will........as soon as they receive similarly formatted press releases from them.
... BMWs annual hagiography makes no mention of the serious issues that plague the marque. Like with the canbus for instance. Plenty of owners are sitting beside the road cursing. No way would I buy a 2005 or on BMW with the screwy electrical system. $18K for a bike that requires you to modify the wiring to the fuel pump before you ride it off? And carry a spare rear hub? No way.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have a friend who had his GS1200 fail in the middle of the AZ desert. Luckily, it was a short hike to help.

BMW is very good at public relations.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I'm sure they will........as soon as they receive similarly formatted press releases from them.
I'm working on the "Kenneth Moore Motorcycling Year in Review" press release. It's a sordid tale, filled with sex, drugs, and violence. The great KPAULSQUIDCOOKVENGER incident, the sale of the beloved Shovelhead to the evil Japanese, and more!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
We're waiting with bated-breath.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
The whole "Legendery Motorcycles of Jeemany" trip was built upon and died with the airheads. Even though they had their idiosyncracies for the most part they held up very well. The K bikes have also proven to be virtually bullet proof with minimal maintenance however it seems the oilheads have had teething problems from the word go. I think the rise in popularity in the mid 80's of BMW as status cars has turned the corporate focus away from bikes and sporty cars like the 2002 and 320 towards more luxury oriented products loaded with electronic overkill.

Both BMW and Mercedes have been engaged in a game of techno one-upmanship, releasing cars with inadequate testing that has resulted in their reliability ratings sinking into Yugo territory while once laughable Korean cars like Hyundai are vaulting to the top based on a well though out design, meticulas assembly and a killer warranty to tie it all together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.