Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I liked the Boxer Cup, I thought it was a good support race at Daytona. I think this new series will be entertaining. I'd like to ride one of these new K1200R's and see one in person, to me it seems interesting.

I was talking to a guy (22, never rode) yesterday that was interested in getting into Motorcycling, he asked me if I thought an "R1" would be a good starter bike... "OK, what about an R6?"...

One of my nephews, 16, 6'3", maybe 160, (he has ridden an XR-100 for a couple of years) asked me what I thought would be a good starter bike (for the street), I kinda threw out "maybe a GPZ250" but more and more I am thinking a Suzuki DR200SE or Yamaha XT225 dual purpose bike would be better for the first six months to a year. He has wanted me to go to bat for him with his folks but he has to fight that fight, it's hard to encourage those you care about to ride on the street. I will help all I can if he gets the go ahead but he has to have the passion to make it work. If something happened and I was the "instigator" it would be hard to accept.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
That's a fair comment but the Boxer Cup was run in addition the 250cc twostrokes AND the SUPERBIKES in the 200 (2003). That made for a good day of racing, on Sunday. I'm usually there for multiple days but for the sport to grow I believe it must appear interesting and exciting any time someone happens to go to "the Races". It's obvious that most of the people that "do" bike week are almost unaware of the Races and/or don't attend. This year THURSDAY??? looks to be the best lineup by far IMHO.

Unless I'm mistaken they used to, at one time, run The Supercross and Road Racing events on the same day. I can think of no safety concerns not to, I could be wrong. I would like to see SUPERBIKES in the 200, Superstock, Supersport, Formula Extreme and Supercross run on the same day, Sunday. I think that lineup would set attendance records. I think it is wrong that they don't allow infield camping (unlike at other Speedway events) and I don't like cars parking along the infield fence, (which restricts prime viewing areas from many for the benefit of few) other than for Handicaped People while I'm at it!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I agree that these are great all-around, real world bikes but I still have a problem with bikes capable of these levels of performance being considered "first bikes" or "starter bikes". Would a Mustang GT be a good "first car"? No 16 year olds are allowed to vote on this!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Maybe a mature person could handle the performance available from the SV650 but I think it's too much for a kid, at least when I was a kid ;-). Maybe if I took an MSF course (and went to the gym!) I would see things differently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts