Motorcycle Forums banner

BMW Boxer Cup Replaced By New Power Cup

20K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Holy_Kaw 
#1 ·
Love to see those valve covers banging togther. Should be a whole buncha fun.

#8 ·
BMW Boxer Cup Replaced By Power Cup - In Europe

Jeez, I was getting all Boxer Cup Prepped to watch the new BMW's shunting each other around at Laguna Seca in July.

But noooooooo. Only in Europe do ve haff ze Cup.

The design looks a little forced in photos; I'm interested to see one in the flesh. One thing's for sure and that is that BMW has entered the power wars in a big way. I wouldn't expect the top end of that 160 crank horsepower to be useable on a naked bike.

At least the long wheelbase will give the rider a chance of keeping the front wheel in reasonable proximity to the ground.

#9 ·
Passengers?

Did they leave the rear footpeg hangers on or is that just the support for the exhaust can??

Here's a new twist: Power Cup Racing TWO-UP!!

After all, BMW has that "real-world" image; every Beemer has a decent back seat. I say bring it on. I think MR ALLCAPS would approve.

#10 ·
The Future Looks Bright

Wow! BMWs come out with another, in the long-line – of Sport Tourers…More, Aggressive Sport Tourers…Slightly more-aggressive Sport Tourer, (but, "Really, it’s much-more Stylish, than the other guy’s")…and, any other number of Dumb-$hit-Nitch-Cycles – that most of us have No-Idea what do with.

And, they’ve even created a Racing Series to go along with it.

Hope this keep up! I can’t wait for Suzuki’s (1st Annual, Hayabusa…"Go ahead and climb on this SOB, and go road-racing, and see how far you get"…Death Match / Holocaust / Blood Bath / Spectacle / "Gimme a hand…No! I meant, that one one layin over there!") Race Series.

Remember...TOC! :)

#20 ·
I liked the Boxer Cup, I thought it was a good support race at Daytona. I think this new series will be entertaining. I'd like to ride one of these new K1200R's and see one in person, to me it seems interesting.

I was talking to a guy (22, never rode) yesterday that was interested in getting into Motorcycling, he asked me if I thought an "R1" would be a good starter bike... "OK, what about an R6?"...

One of my nephews, 16, 6'3", maybe 160, (he has ridden an XR-100 for a couple of years) asked me what I thought would be a good starter bike (for the street), I kinda threw out "maybe a GPZ250" but more and more I am thinking a Suzuki DR200SE or Yamaha XT225 dual purpose bike would be better for the first six months to a year. He has wanted me to go to bat for him with his folks but he has to fight that fight, it's hard to encourage those you care about to ride on the street. I will help all I can if he gets the go ahead but he has to have the passion to make it work. If something happened and I was the "instigator" it would be hard to accept.

#21 ·
How can u like one-brand racing during Daytona Bike Week? when track time is at a premium? It is basically a big BMW commercial. Air-cooled twins up to 1300-whatever cc are alloweed in FX, why doesn't bmw enter a couple of bikes in there for some exposure? beat Honda. right.

#25 ·
I sympathize with you. Im in the samresituation with my 24 year old stepson.he wants to buy my son's GIXXER 600.My wife is in complete opposition...She rides ,I ride and my son rides (along with her sister and three of her brothers and several nephews)but shecant face the possibility of her son riding. Maybe hypocritical to non parents but motherhood isnt always rational. Ive told my son not to sell. Ive told my stepson(6'5'',190 lbs) to buy something a little more beginner friendly but that I cant lend him any cash or cosign a loan. I'm sure eventually he'll buy a 600 sportbike but I dont want to be an enabler.....If something happened it may well wreck my marriage. When he buys something I'll help him learn and pay for track classes(like I did for my son) but I dont want to be "responsible"..whatever that means. Life aint always simple,is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.