Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Well, I guess all the crystal-ballers were wrong!

Hope they keep the marque in production. I have had a few Huskys, new and old, and they're good machines.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"cept the '84 XC series

Well, I guess all the crystal-ballers were wrong!

Hope they keep the marque in production. I have had a few Huskys, new and old, and they're good machines.
...the last year of the Swedish bikes, that some say were sabotaged on purpose by Aquavit soaked workers all hopped up on ludafisk...

I read somewhere that BMW is buying Husqvarna to counter the KTM dominance in dual sport-off-road-MX bikes.

Good luck. The market is soaked as it is...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
mscuddy;165816I read somewhere that BMW is buying Husqvarna to counter the KTM dominance in dual sport-off-road-MX bikes. Good luck. The market is soaked as it is...[/QUOTE said:
Actually, it was in an interview with one of the BMW bigwigs. I read about it in several places.

The BMW folks believe they need to attract a younger population, hence the dirtbikes, remade 650s and new 800s.

Seen the new 450 they're developing? The clutch is on the end of the crankshaft (been tried before, with poor results in the 60s/70s) to allow more direct frame rails to the swingarm pivot. Also, the swingarm pivot is concentric with the countershaft sprocket.

As a long time dirt rider, both of these ideas bother me.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
They may be right.

Actually, it was in an interview with one of the BMW bigwigs. I read about it in several places.

The BMW folks believe they need to attract a younger population, hence the dirtbikes, remade 650s and new 800s.
But the younger people won't pay 9K for an F650 when they can get a DP650 for $5K. Same with the 800 twin - you can get an SV1000 for less $. The same reason you see the younger guys buying metric cruisers... not enough disposable cash.

·
Registered
530 Posts
But the younger people won't pay 9K for an F650 when they can get a DP650 for $5K. Same with the 800 twin - you can get an SV1000 for less $. The same reason you see the younger guys buying metric cruisers... not enough disposable cash.
I ride a parts bin V-Strom right now and love it, but an BMW F800ST or KTM 990 Superduke might be in my future if my cashflow improves, so you've got a point about moolah being a factor.

That said, not all the riders are "younger" and BMW does make some fine ass, distinctive bikes, they're just not bargain basement and they're NOT for everyone. In the car world a Hyundai can go against a BMW/Mecedes in some performance/features areas, but it's not the same feeling of quality by any means, and it's more about aesthetics, choice and refinement... not pure dollar for performance.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Krankshaft Krunching Klutches, real Kookie...

Seen the new 450 they're developing? The clutch is on the end of the crankshaft (been tried before, with poor results in the 60s/70s) to allow more direct frame rails to the swingarm pivot. Also, the swingarm pivot is concentric with the countershaft sprocket.

As a long time dirt rider, both of these ideas bother me.
Who was it that used crankshaft mounted clutches? Bridgestone? Early Hodakas? And that idea of the swingarm pivot being in the layshaft of the tranny is, well, disturbing.

I'd be real interested in that Vtwin Aprila for the dirt. But I never would of sold my old ratty CR500 that never seemed to quit, or wear out, so strike that thought.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Bmw 450

Wow, dig that frame, wonder how much it weighs? These are some heady times for dirt bikes...too bad they never perfected the oribital 2 stroke motor for off-road bikes. (you know, the one with a 4 stroke lower end, exhaust port & intake injector, got rid of loop scavenging).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.