Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty neat bike, but not exactly my style. I"m glad BMW is stepping up their R&D in motorcycles and they've been building decent bikes lately.

In fact they're sup'ed to be working on a MotoGP bike with a 3-cyl engine containing pneumatic valves (gobs of F1 techies) as well as a radical suspension system.

Bad news today, Randy Renfrow passed away today. Guy will be missed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
comparing this fugly thing to philippe starck's masterpiece aprilia is a huge mistake.....that bike was gorgeous and blazed new territory in terms of color and style that haven't been reached since. i wish that bike had been sold in this country.

i must say though, that the features this bike offers are well thought out, though the styling of the bike is not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mechanically, it's a totally new model, with only the engine being carried over from the GS.

So is the engine not mechanical, then? If the engine is not new, then mechanically it's not totally new, is it?

But enough semantics, does anyone else rek'n that the profile of the front is more than a little reminicent of a TDM?

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Interesting bike! Seems to have sparked an interest with under 30 types. A younger guy (just out of college) who knows I ride comes up to me and shows me a picture of the F650CS and says "What do you think?" My alter ego Spike thinks what a sissy bike you should own a real bike like mine. But all the coaching of DucButt, longride and sportbikepilot came to play. I said "Thats an interesting bike, Have you tried one? etc etc Motorcycles are great ". Hey I just wanted the kid to get into bikes. More bikers better world!

Give BMW a cheer for trying to get newbies into bikes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not that I mind but...

have you all noticed how more and more the bike reviews are not done by the usual guys (minime, hackfu or even johnnyb)? Yossef is good and everything (plus he can leave gixxers in the dust riding a bulldog) but I miss the testing of US spec bikes!

Come on guys where are the cool comparos you've been taunting us with for quite a while now? Bring'em on I say!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's Good. Is it 9k Good?

I live and ride mostly in the greater L.A. environs. This bike is right for urban use. That said - would I part with that much cash for this kind of bike? No.

I'd pay 6 or 7 max. With all the 'schtuff' and accessories included.

BMW has ideas and they are interesting. For me an SV650 serves a similar purpose - and is priced right. I have a '97 F650 and like it for commuting, light touring duty, and just wandering. I'd like the F650CS too - but the price holds me back. Design good: Price bad.

The Buell Blast covers similar territory and is coupled with rider training and a tradeup program. BMW might consider this bike for that purpose - bringing new riders in and getting them on BMWs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a 1999 F650 and consider myself a BMW guy. I pretty much like all their bikes. So I admit it, I'm biased. Recently, I took this on a test drive. Yosef was right it is a nice runner and does OK on the interstate, but I just can't get used to the style. To my eye, it looks like what would happen if the Swatch corp ever tdesigned a motorcycle. The styling is just too much for to ever consider purchasing. But then I am not in the target demographic. Maybe the same people who like VW Beetle's styling will like this bike.

Take care,

Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the CS is going to do just fine, but not in the US. This bike has fashionable, European, 19- to 35-year-old single person from written all over it, and I think it will do very well in its intended market.

It's not my cup of tea, and I don't think it will sell well in the States. As others have mentioned, it's pricing in the States is decidedly uncompetitive. But I'm looking at the August 02 issue of Bike, and it says the CS costs 5,400 pounds in Britain, which is very competitive to 5,149 for the SV650S, 5,099 for the Fazer 600, and 5,000 for the Monster 620. This is far from the 50% premium in the States over the SV.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Details Please?

Sure we can look it up, but why not fill out the MO form as far as possible. Wheelbase... Seat Height... Rake... Trail...

You might have mentioned the remarkably light weight, too.

It's still a fine piece, but in the absence of test comparisons, data comparisons are all we have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No matter how good this bike might be, I just can't get passed it's looks. Part of owning a motorcycle is just sitting back , looking at your bike and enjoying the view. The F650cs is a bike that I couldn't enjoy looking at. It seems as if BMW just doesn't care about this aspect of motorcycling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is a strange looking bird to be sure. Nevertheless, BMW should be commended for trying to introduce more folks, even ones with strange tastes, to motorcycles. I have read several reviews of this bike, and they all say it is a joy to ride. So I would really love to try one out. Of course I think I would like to have a Yamaha Bulldog also............

·
Registered
203 Posts
Um.. you remember when the 1200C came out and everyone thought the first adverts were a joke bmw were playing on what a bike shouldn't look like. See this one in the flesh - it looks A LOT worse.

Even my trend happy ex wouldn't be seen dead on this - she told me so, just before she told me she wouldn't be seen dead with me.

um.....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
well, ahhh, people don't stand around and eyeball their Echos and whatever sort of little cute cars either. BMW is obviously going for the non-enthusiast market with something a step up from a scooter. Should MO review it even? Anybody get the SimonGarfunkel thing? anybody at all...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Who Remembers When...?

BMW made durable, quality machines that handled great and had staid styling that still looked good 20 years later? I'm only 33, but I had a '77 R100S for 5 years, and in my mind, it looks just like a bike ought to.

The bikes are still durable, quality machines, but the styling is freakish and bizzare. Folks buy BMW's despite the styling, not because of it. The last really good looking Beamer was the K1200RS- the new R1200r is OK, but it's sooooo heavy- standards should really keep it under 500 pounds, and thumpers should top out at 400 full of gas.

BMW could very easily build a 380 pound F650R that would have very simple, basic styling and would go like hell. It would even be a good club racer, something a BMW hasn't been since Eisenhower was president. But they won't. Why? Who knucking foes...but I know I won't buy a BMW again! Not as long as they keep building these weird, overweight, overpriced zepplins.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
There is one parked outside my building everyday. Walking past it I cant help but stare, then the clip on modules are pretty cool. Its a perfect city bike and with its own stereo? What more could you ask for around town? Like the Big GS its odd looks grow on you, kinda like mold...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here's a thought: review it AND compare it to something of the same sort (well, kind of). Comparisons provide a reference for the buyer and the enthusiast in general. They are very helpful and the readers love them.

By the way Euro spec machines are fine for first rides and previews but not for in depth reviews (unless US and Euro are the same).

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.