Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hm. Well. That's um...

Er, well, I guess it's, uh...different! Yeah.

She's not much on looks, but she has a great personality and is a good dancer.

Seriously, Kudos to BMW for creating a practical, fun, durable and unintimidating transportation system. How many other manufacturers try to create their own niches like this?

If moptorcycles are marketed to the public as cheap, safe, reliable, fun and practical solutions for transportation problems, we might see the general public actually like and accept motorcycles for what they are, a sound component of a sensible and sustainable transportation systme, and not props for use by lawless hooligans and poseurs.

That's why I want everybody to go out and buy one of these things. Not me, God knows, it's too damn weird.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's uuuuuuugly....

Now they've got the 1150 GS, that R1200C cruiser thingy and the F650S... are they TRYING to corner the market on ugly bikes?

·
Registered
31 Posts
While it's not exactly my cup of tea, I gotta give the BMW designers credit for thinking outside the box. And the 650 platform is a good place to experiement. Heaven help them if they ever tried to mess around with their bread and butter: the sport touring market! I think people who ride dual-sports (and to some degree, standards) are used to strapping things to their bikes any way it'll fit, so the weird luggage and tank-top rack won't upset them. The styling? Well, maybe the functionality will help some get over it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why is it that every time someone builds a bike that does'nt look like a Katana, everyone calls it ugly? I think this bike looks "kewl" man! Sort of a sophisticated KTM Duke. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Beemer fan. Let's face it, they're usually under-powered, buzzy, and waaaaaaaay overpriced. But hey, we need bikes like this new F650. I'm tired of looking at sterile Japanese designs, no matter how technically supperior they are. Bikes should evoke some emotion dang it!! All you squids out there should get off your ZZYR Blastobusa's and try a lightweight single or twin sometime...........(ie.. MZ Skorpion, Suzuki SV650, Husqvarna SM610, Laverda Ghost)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wow... you had me read like a book! Oh, waitaminit... no you didn't. I like the KTM Duke, I REALLY like the Suzuki SV650 (both the faired and the unfaired) and I like the Laverda Ghost... But that Bavarian Money Waster is just plain FUGLY. Oh, and so is the new Katana. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I could get it in a color that didn't look like some sort of body function, this really wouldn't be that bad. Heck, I've toured on a KLR650, and I know that this bike would be better than that. If the price isn't out of line, I might find one in my garage. (Not likely, with the way BMW prices their bikes.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: BMW F650 CS: Taking the concept further.

I like it. It's ugly, but ugly ins stylish sort of way. And it looks like somthing that can curb hop and deal with city streets well.

The "tank"-mounted storage is one of the most innovative things in a long while, but I'd like to see aftermarket manufacturers expand on it some. How about a sub-machinegun mount for the cagers that try to kill you? Or a small satellite dish so you can watch tube or read MO as you ride? An air conditioning unit? A cooler that can hold a six-pack? An electronic warfare pod for defeating police speed measuring devices? (Not all that necessary with 50 hp, but still . . . ) And with modular sound systems on bikes, how long until we have two-wheeled SPL contests? Yes, it's a brave new world. Thank you, BMW.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I kinda actually dig the looks, too. Certainly wouldn't loose your bike in a crowd. Not yet, anyways. Could be fun and practical, but BMW seems to offer waaay too little bang for the buck. Oh, and I would not be pleased if I had to take it to the dealer or do major disassembly to get the belt swapped. For that reason alone I'd prefer a chain. Interesting bike, but knowing about BMW's reputation for pricing, I have a feeling they won't be greatly expanding their market in the US with this bike.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have to applaud everyone on the lighthearted comments. This is really fun reading for a change. I even laughed a couple of times! To think, it only took a few Germans with a bag of weed and an engineering degree to accomplish such a feat. Guys, keep on smoking the stuff, it takes my mind off of life's pressures (and the stress of putt'n the kids to bed).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh Lord! they've created first two wheeled SUV.....a sure hit with the M5 crowd!....I do however like to see thinking go in new directions...but know how far and in what direction you are going...all in all a cool little bike but a bit too much as far as the departure from the "norm" IMO.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not as practical as you'd think

This bike would be a great all-rounder with it's light weight, sensible seating and powerband, and good luggage capacity...

If it wasn't so bloody EXPENSIVE. The F650GS is $8000+, and this will probably be the same. Keep in mind that an EX500 is $5000, an SV650 is $5500, a ZR7S is $6000, and even a ZRX1200 is under $7900. I don't care how trick the luggage system is, there is no reason that a 650 single should be $8k. Price it at $6000 or $6500 and it might sell.

As for the looks, let me be the first to say that it's kind of nice. The color scheme is all wrong--looks like a 1980's Denver Bronco--but if it was done up in silver and black it'd be pretty darned nice looking. The muffler's got to go, though--give us the sexy ones from the F650GS!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I personally think that the R1150GS and the R1200C are beautiful bikes (though I have a few reservations about the F650CS). I'm ready to say that I think the R1200C Stiletto is the best-looking cruiser on the road.

But I also think that the 996 and the Deuce are ugly as hell. More proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Whether you personally like the looks or not, you've got to give BMW props for thinking outside the box.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.