Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Say what?

Elder Bush was forced to *increase* taxes in the final few years to help offset some pretty severe budget deficits, which is what Clinton played upon when he ran the first time. He made a lot of political hay out of Elder Bush having to eat the words "Read my lips. No new taxes."

How did those deficits get there in the first place? Standard GOP tax cuts for the rich, aka trickle-down economics. Reagan saw them the first time he tried it. Elder Bush saw it, now younger Bush is seeing it. We saw the same thing with Mulroney here in Canada and the UK saw the same thing under Thatcher. Where ever trickle-down economics show up, deficits and recessions seem to follow, but that doesn't seem to stop the GOP from flogging a dead horse.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Great summary.. Yep Bush Sr. did the right thing to stop Vodoo Reaganomics but paid the political price for it. Jr. is a better politician but a lesser man. Sr. was the last president of the "greatest" generation. Volunteered for WW2, flew in combat, graduated with honors at Yale (in economics).... History is treating the elder Bush well ....Interesting contrast huh.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Where to indeed?

I am hoping to see more of the smaller outfits produce bikes. Unlike big conglomerates that are run by suits only interested in the bottom dollar, smaller outfits can come up with some great products.

I was looking at the Confederate site and would give my left testicle for a Wraith.

Sadly the EPA morons will probably put an end too :-(

·
Registered
780 Posts
Re: Triumph, Ducati, BWM all up ?

I think inexperienced folks can ride big(ger) motorcycles without problem.

The big thing is the person’s attitude. I know a few folks who bought big bikes that have not had any saddle time in decades without any incident (or near incidents). The key is that they are cautious of road conditions and respectful towards other road users.

Conversely, I have seen many highly experienced riders ride in a way that I can only describe as ‘an accident waiting to happen’.

In spite of the misplaced negative sentiments towards HD riders permeating the BB, they normally fall into the former category.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it is a terrific contrast. Bush Sr. hangs around with Clinton privately and has called him one of the greatest US presidents. The two of them obviously respect each other.

Compare that to the Bush Jr. administration or the right-wing talk radio jockeys ... they can't even say Clinton's name without adding some slur. In practice, the Dem's aren't really much different from Bush Sr.'s Reps, but you would think that they are legions of evil from the rhetoric of the neo-cons.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts