Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm NOT anti K bike, etc. I just get a great laugh out of ON and OTL. If you missed Gary Sibley's (aka Phatt Rat) write up trying to make the K12GT a BETTER buy than the FJR13ABS, you missed a fantastic session of watching Gary try to stuff that camel through the eye of a needle. It did not work. If you don't belong to BMWMOA (I have for 15 yrs..Airhead for 13 yrs, HSTA for 8 yrs, etc) then you have likely not read any of what I speak of and have no idea of what I speak..so there!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Ain't that the truth. ABS isn't used by pro racers so Joe Squid can't have it either. It'll earn him too much derision at the Burger Barn. And the extra weight will reduce the number of bike mags he can carry in his tank bag.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: BMW ABS

I don't know if it's an "old man" image, but it does take some getting used to. During my week of '02 R1150RT ownership I have to say I didn't care for it too much.

I'm a dyed in the wool ABS fan, living in a wet climate I wouldn't buy another car without it. But on the BMW it just seemed to make a bike that was difficult to ride smoothly that much worse

Between the surging, topheavyness and touchy brakes I just didn't bond with the bike at all. Of course thats a personnal opinion. BMW sells a boatload of bikes so they obviousley appeal to many riders, and to be honest it was a great freeway bike, just not my cup-o-tea.

My Triumph's ride, handleing and feel are perfect for me, probably because I'm a Brit ex-pat. The seat sucks, but that'll be fixed come tax time. After owning 2 BMW's in the '80's I was surprised at how much their focus has shifted.

To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Given all the bad press BMW has been getting the past few years, I would expect that the new motorcycle will be as proportionally state of the art as their newest car is in relation to its nearest competitor.

BMW gets way more that 100 hp per liter in its car motors, I expect that if its high HP their customers are screaming for, well, it should arrive in a small(er) package than the past incarnations.

The K1200RS is and GT are both really "GT" bikes. I suspect the new K bike will be a lighter, faster, gizmo-galore GT bike as well.

Lets hope its not so freakin wierd looking this time.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts