Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Good to see BMW offering a nice package at a reasonable price for a change. My '91 GSX1100 shaftie is going to need a replacement soon......

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have one of the naked/super standard bikes and would have liked to try out the 1150R before buying my Kawasaki. It sounds like a great bike, especially with the ABS, luggage and centerstand. However my local dealer "laughed" at me (I live in Southern CA.) when I asked if they had stock. Anyway maybe the other manufactures will follow BMW's lead. It's pretty amazing how BMW can offer what appears to be "more bike" for not much more than I paid for my 2001 Kawasaki ZRX. Good job BMW!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Ask at a BMW dealer next time!

Actually I wasn't looking for the ZRX at the time but the Beemer after reading a write up about it. I am still kinda amazed that you could get a brand new BMW for under 10 grand. Oh well, I'll ride my Kwak and drive my Pathfinder for a couple of more years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
BMW R1150R

I popped into my local BMW dealer a month or so ago to see "what's new" and I saw the new R1150R. They had three of them. One w/o ABS and two with. They also had the R1100S w/ABS at close to 16K. I started asking about the Lightweight version of the R1100S and they said forget about it. So I had resigned myself to buy an R1150R at $9990 w/o ABS.

I was just there a week ago and they had just uncrated an R1100S Boxer Cup! A homologation special patterned after a race series in Europe. It sells for $12K (!) with the wider rear wheel/tire, taller suspension and no centerstand. There is only one for each dealer (about 170) and from what I understand all are spoken for. There is a chance that an additional 130 bikes will be made. I have one ordered and I am at the top of the list, but it doesn't look good with these bikes going to the large volume dealers. If it doesn't pan out, then I will be purchasing a R1150R which is the biggest bang for the buck in motorcycles.

Anyone have any info on the R1100S Boxer Cup?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: BMW R1150R

I checked one out at my dealer here in Japan. Very nice looking. But the big turnoff for me was that in an effort to shed weight on the bike, BMW put on a smaller alternator and battery. So apparently you can't fit grip heaters or other electronic amenities (heated vest, etc). That move didn't make sense to me considering that 99 percent of the buyers will likely use this expensive bike for road riding.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A hooligan, you say?

This was a very interesting and entertaining read. I suspected the Beemer would be very good in an all-around sort of way, but keeping up with the Speed Triple? And a hooligan bike?

I've seen pictures of Guzzi's V11 Sport doing wheelies and read that it will do them in 2nd gear without assistance from the clutch. Is the R1150R this kind of hooligan bike? Yikes!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Biggest bang for the buck?

Please explain how this bike is the biggest bang for the buck. You can get a FZ1 which has a center stand, fairing, same riding position, 40 more horses for about $2000 less. Or you could get a ZX12 which is now a "sport-tourer" which has double the power/80 more horses for about the same price (with dealer discounting). I've ridden this bike, the RT and the GS and I thought they all had great suspension, brakes and handling. I just didn't like the way the engines vibrated at highway speeds, and the lack of power relative to Japanese machinery. Each to their own.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Free rides...

Here in SE Michigan, Detroit BMW allows test rides once or twice per year during Open House events. According to them, it takes so much paper work to get a bike from BMW marked as a "test ride vehicle" that they want to make sure more than one person rides it before it gets sold. Gauging by the turn out at the Open House and the number of bikes missing from the show room the next day, I'd guess they weren't fibbing.

As to the R1150R, it is indeed a sweet bike. Last year I got to ride it, the R1150RT, 1800 GoldWind, and Valk in my own little touring bike comparison. I'd have to say the BMW's are definately the thing to have at this point in life. The perfect, commuter/tourer/weekend fun bike I've ever ridden.

Note to Mr. Burns. You don't work for that magazine any more. We get it. Now stop bringing it up and just keep turning out pieces like you have been.

Note to MO subscription department. Either something is radically different in the online publishing business or you need to get your act together. I have not gotten one notice yet letting me know my subscription is about to expire and I can't have more than 10 or 11 months left. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: R1150R

I have had every brand of Japanese sportbike but of late at the motorcycle shows, I have been struck at the great looking 1150R. I have been reading the tests - and they have all been surprisingly good. One question for all - what is the wind protection like vs. a sportbike. I know the test says that it is good up to 100mph without the fairing but is that for real?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sniff. Sniff. Sob. I've always been a sports bike riding guy. If I wasn't sliding the rear or scraping my knee I wasn't happy. I used to see those BMW riders and look upon them with scorn. "Why would you want to ride on of those things" I used to say to myself. "You might as well drive a car".

I turned 30 the other day. I just read this article and found myself feeling an unxpected longing to ride one. That 954 I had pencilled in as my next bike just doesn't seem so attractive any more.

What is wrong with me? Is my life over?

Ah, nothing of the sort. Our priorities change. I can see some Bee Em's in my future. I'm happy. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always been amused by sport bike riders who think BMW motorcycles are nothing but an old man's slug. That's ok though. I can only imagine the surprise many of them had when they realized that they're weren't catching me on my RS. My six and half years in Germany provided me with some very good training.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Free rides...

Lowrez, Not sure what you mean about the subscription about to expire stuff. Explain?

As we said, if you donated last year, when we went to subscription (which we did) you are hooked up for a year. Is that what you mean? e-mail me at [email protected] if I'm way off base and you'd like to yell at me.

P.S. I think a Staff Chat is in order ASAP...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally! A motojournalist calling it like he sees it. Cruisers are a lot of fun but the peg position really is stupid! Until the Baby Boomers are ready to trade in their potato-bikes for Rascals and the bike manufacturers put the pegs in a rational place (like under my ass where they belong), I'll keep riding bikes like the R1150R; or my Cyclone, or my old Radian, or my old 700s Nighthawk, or Kz700... Well, you get the idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Free rides...

Say minime,

I believe that was what is known as a "joke". You know, after the first magazine in the subscription shows up (usually last month's which I already bought at the newsstand), the publisher immediately sends a "renewal notice" telling you that your subscription is about to run out. Now laugh dammit!

As far a JPB bashing Motorcyclist, I agree with most of his jabs but it probably is time to move beyond open vitriol to more backhanded and sneaky insults.

Dennis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cylinder-Years

Alright, I know this is way off base but I wasn't sure where else to post it and I think it'll be a fun public discussion. Burns, could you explain this "cylinder-years" stuff? For example, do all the vehicles have to be running at the moment? Also, how to you count the cylinder years of a Rotary engine?

Thanks in advance.

Mike L.

'99 Cyclone

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Re: Cylinder-Years

My feeling is that the cylinders have to be attached to some sort of device, kick or electric, that would be capable of starting them in motion if the battery was charged or the kickstarter was not inoperably frozen. Otherwise, guys with rusty small-blocks rotting in the "yard" would have too big an advantage. More simply, the cylinders must be in place in some sort of vehicle, and capable of propelling said vehicle if there were air in the tires. Unless on blocks, of course.

Rotaries don't count, too weird. In fact, any rotary is minus five. jb

·
Registered
49 Posts
How about doing a hop up article on the beemer? Is there anyway to squeeze 100+ horses out of it? Sounds like the suspension is fine.

Liven it up, and then turn it loose with the triple, z-rex, and FizzyOne for a comparison.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.