Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, got my side stand switch fixed and took her out for a spin and had yet another problem. When im riding it and take off it kinda sputters unless i crack it all the way open and then it runs out great. It seems that the problem is is just like at half throttle taking off,it just sputters. A ny suggestins? The bike had sat for about six months before i got it. also it is a gsf600s

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Your carbs are clogged somewhere because the gas sat so long -- it turns to varnish over time, and it likely has clogged your low-speed jets. (When you crack it open it's on the main jet and gets enough fuel.) You should get a product called SeaFoam, which can help clear carbs. If that doesn't work, you'll need to take the carbs apart and clean out the little passages.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
1.) Jack up license plate
2.) Remove old motorcycle
3.) Install new motorcycle
4.) Lower license plate
5.) Soak old motorcycle in warm salt water.......

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Pilot Jets clogged like an Artery. It will require surgery. Who's your HMO?

Seafoam probably won't work in this case, but it's cheap-enough you can try it.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Try this if seafoam doesn't work.

As I recall that bike has carbs with drain screws that face sideways. Pull the screws one at a time. Use a small cup to catch the drained fuel. Inspect for little particles of crud. You probably have crud since it's been sitting. You can get some spray carburetor cleaner and using the little red tube spray cleaner through the drain hole into the carb and flush them out. Don't forget to put some towels under the carbs when you do this. Give it a couple of hours to dry out and then replace the drain plugs. Put some carb cleaner that goes in the fuel and put it in. Run a tank of gas through the bike and see how it goes.

P.S. If the bike doesn't have an inline fuel filter betwenn the tank and the carbs you should put one on.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Try this if seafoam doesn't work.

As I recall that bike has carbs with drain screws that face sideways. Pull the screws one at a time. Use a small cup to catch the drained fuel. Inspect for little particles of crud. You probably have crud since it's been sitting. You can get some spray carburetor cleaner and using the little red tube spray cleaner through the drain hole into the carb and flush them out. Don't forget to put some towels under the carbs when you do this. Give it a couple of hours to dry out and then replace the drain plugs. Put some carb cleaner that goes in the fuel and put it in. Run the bike through a tank of gas and see how it goes.

P.S. Id the bike doesn't have an inline fuel filter betwenn the tank and the carbs you should put one on.
You forgot to tell him to use a match to make it easier to see while he's inspecting the crud in the fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well today i disassembled the carbs and held a match to them to find the particles. When i did that the particles caught fire and burned the bike,oh yeah,im not a dumbass,sorry retards. anyways to the people who are seriously trying to help all the jets looked great. The bowls had a few small particles in them so i cleaned the carbs with spray and air in all the passages till they were clean. Ill put the tank back on tommorrow and see what happens. I notices some one already removed the mixture screw caps from the carbs. The bike has after market exhaust do you think this could contribute?? thanks to all!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
well today i disassembled the carbs and held a match to them to find the particles. When i did that the particles caught fire and burned the bike,oh yeah,im not a dumbass,sorry retards. anyways to the people who are seriously trying to help all the jets looked great. The bowls had a few small particles in them so i cleaned the carbs with spray and air in all the passages till they were clean. Ill put the tank back on tommorrow and see what happens. I notices some one already removed the mixture screw caps from the carbs. The bike has after market exhaust do you think this could contribute?? thanks to all!
Did you remove the pilot jets and hold them up to light, after spraying carb-cleaner through them?

If not, you'll know what you need to do if it still exhibits the same symptoms when you fire it up.

Avoid getting carb-cleaner on any rubber bits: it causes them to swell and stretch.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yeah, the aftermarket exhaust could cause that problem. To run right, a bike has to have balanced exhaust and intake -- sometimes, changing the exhaust for more flow messes up the carburation because the carb can't flow enough gas to match the pipe.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
From your original post it looks like the bike was this way when you got it, right?

You have inherited the dreaded but common "I'm smarter than the factory engineers" syndrome. A lot of people think that putting on some aftermarket can will improve HP. They get this idea by reading advertisements from the people that sell this stuff. Sometimes these mods to do work but as often they only make things worse. Tuning engines is a delicate business. The manufacturers spend millions achieving good states of tune. Few guys working in a greasy garage are going to beat Suzuki's engineers at this task.

Some sellers of aftermarket stuff have actually been know to falsify those neat looking dyno charts that claim you're going to get a 10% power increase. Imagine that!!

You may be forced to buy stock jets and start over with the tuning if the problem persists.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
You might try picking up a sense of humor as well, no one thought you were stupid enough to check any thing with a match. It was a joke. Anyway my bikes run fine, you can figure it out for yourself 'far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You might try picking up a sense of humor as well, no one thought you were stupid enough to check any thing with a match. It was a joke. Anyway my bikes run fine, you can figure it out for yourself 'far as I'm concerned.
I AM SURE GLAD THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO **** GOOD FORUMS-- GO **** YOURSELF::cool:

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I AM SURE GLAD THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO **** GOOD FORUMS-- GO **** YOURSELF::cool:
You do realize that these are just old jokes and stories that everyone re-uses and that they aren't targeted at you.

You see the same threads take place when Airhawk, or Sarnali, or Cuddy, or any other forum member posts a question about repairs or bike problems. The match remark has been used, at least, 5-10 dozen times on this forum alone.

The "Jack up license plate" joke, which can also be substituted for "Jack up the seat", is a close second.

Again, just jokes. They've been used on everybody; you are just part of the forum. MO's social I.Q. is about 4, but the forums bike I.Q. is actually pretty good.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
So, Fcat5,

Ya got them carbs cleaned yet?

BTW, if you don't have compressed air, you're wasting your time. The pressure from a can won't do it. You need to get Fujita on them things.

And hopefully, you haven't screwed up your carb timing. Assuming they were synch'd to start with.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
So, Fcat5,

Ya got them carbs cleaned yet?

BTW, if you don't have compressed air, you're wasting your time. The pressure from a can won't do it. You need to get Fujita on them things.

And hopefully, you haven't screwed up your carb timing. Assuming they were synch'd to start with.
He's probably still upset because someone had the SHEER AUDACITY to rib him mildly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.