Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
VERY nice. I'm impressed.

Triumph appears to be taking marketing seriously. While no power cruiser, it appears to have all the ingredients necessary to fit in with the cruiser crowd.

I like the heritage and the style. What I'd like to know is what V2 cruiser folks think of the new bonnie. I'm a sport, sport/standard kind of guy thus my tastes run to the cafe racer style but, in my opinion, that's a tasty lookin bonnie!

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's the most misbegotten cruiser since the Ducati Indiana. Why would anyone buy one? People who want retro-Triumphs want retro-Triumps that remind them of older Triumphs, not Triumphs that remind them of Harleys. If I were in the market for a new/old Triumph, I'd look at the Bonnie and the Thunderbird, which perform and handle. If I were in the market for a mid-displacement Harley repli-cruiser, I'd shop one of the Japanese brands. And if I found myself seriously considering the Bonneville America, I would schedule an appointment with an eye doctor, or maybe a psychiatrist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Isnt it an old news?

Readable on www.bike-city.de <<< German Site today Triumph will release a big cruiser with 2179cc next year! As they comment the new Bonnie America is just a test - in a way Triumph did before - built a bike out of a former version to release the next and better step one year after.

To understand the German text maybe use altavista's babelfish at world.altavista.com ... it's a worse translation but better to understand than the origin ;o)

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry I postet this as a repley 8o)

Readable on www.bike-city.de <<< German Site today Triumph will release a big cruiser with 2179cc next year! As they comment the new Bonnie America is just a test - in a way Triumph did before - built a bike out of a former version to release the next and better step one year after.

To understand the German text maybe use altavista's babelfish at world.altavista.com ... it's a worse translation but better to understand than the origin ;o)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Bonneville America reader Feedback

I agree it looks like a nice bike. Definitely a change of pace from the Hardleys and Metric Cruisers. I don't know if it will do well in the U.S. but I think that it is a great attempt. To me it looks comfortable without being a couch.

Good Job Triumph

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been a H-D rider for the past 6 years. Currently I've got a 1200

Sportster. I would definitely be interested in the Bonneville America.

The styling is pretty spot on, especially with the factory accessories. My other bike is a Triumph Sprint ST with all the factory options. If the new Bonnie is as good a bike as my Sprint ST is, then they have a for sure winner.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hmmmmm..very nice looking bike but I have to wonder--who will buy it.I would think that folk who buy it would have bought the standard Bonneville.

I dont think it will make major excursions into the Japanese "HD-like"cruiser crowd,the HD market or the power cruiser market.In other words I think Triumph may be competing against themselves.Maybe they will take some buyers from the BMW cruiser....the other "something different "cruiser.I wish triumph luck;I like their willingness to be different.Now,if they build a Bonneville cafe racer with a little more sport and a little more power....but Im not sure how many folk would buy that either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You've got a good point. Regarding the cafe racer bonnie... I'd be interested in one but I'd be much more inclined to purchase an 'original' bonnie and I wonder how many others would be of the same opinion. The bonnie may well be competing with itself.

Still, I think it looks great. A little more chunky than the bonnie without loosing its 'classic' lines.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Too little juice

I like the styling and it would be nice if this sells, but I don't think it will. The 790 parallel twin is just too little muscle for a cruiser. The Bonnie and the W650 are nice little bikes, but I've never seen one off the showroom floor. I have to wonder it these are really meeting sales expectations.

I think they would sell some with the 955 triple in it, but Triumph must see it differently.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Price comparisons

Shadow Spirit 750: $2000 cheaper

Shadow ACE 750: $2000 cheaper

Sportster 883: $2000 cheaper

Vulcan 800: $2000 cheaper

Marauder 800: $2000 cheaper

Intruder 800: $1500 cheaper

Vulcan 800 Custom: $1000 cheaper

Magna 750: $500 cheaper

V-Star 1100 Custom: $100 cheaper

Sportster 1200: same price

Shadow Sabre 1100: $200 more expensive

Guzzi California Stone 1100: $800 more expensive

In conclusion, the Bonnie America's MSRP isn't obscenely out of line, but it's high enough to make it a bad deal compared to other things out there. And Triumph wasn't a cruiser maker historically, so I'm not sure how much nostalgia will make up for overpricing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Too little juice

Well, I ride a 600cc V-twin (30-35hp), and it's got "enough" muscle for a cruiser...given a $5000 MSRP. It's not that the Bonnie America is underpowered, it's that it's underpowered for the price.

There are a couple W650s in my town, but that's the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, so a retro-scrambler-standards sells better than it would for most of the nation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The latest MotorCylist Magazine has a brief interview with Carlo Talamo. Pictured on the same page is a 1-off Bonneville cafe racer he built. Rear-sets, fork gaters, clip-on's, the whole look is there. I have a pretty good feeling that this is the shape of things to come for the Bonneville.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Price comparisons

Shadow Spirit 750: $2000 cheaper TOO SMALL (physically)

Shadow ACE 750: $2000 cheaper UNDERPOWERED, NOT AS SMOOTH LOOKING, BUT NICE (owned one)

Sportster 883: $2000 cheaper CHICK BIKE

Vulcan 800: $2000 cheaper VANILLA AND NON-COOL

Marauder 800: $2000 cheaper CRAPPY SEAT/SMALL CHASSIS

Intruder 800: $1500 cheaper VANILLA AND NON COOL

Vulcan 800 Custom: $1000 cheaper VANILLA AND NON-COOL

Magna 750: $500 cheaper ACK! Great Engine, Lame chassis/Brakes!

V-Star 1100 Custom: $100 cheaper PLAS-TEEK!

Sportster 1200: same price FAT CHICK BIKE

Shadow Sabre 1100: $200 more expensive A Contender (GREAT comfort)

Guzzi California Stone 1100: $800 more expensive Too close to C*M Guzzler

This new Triumph is one of the best looking,non freakish, non-jap cruisers I have seen released. A bit more motor maybe, but a cheap way to get a unique, fonzie-esque ride! If you really wanna get picky, you can get late model Valks here for 9K OTD at several shops, but then, you have to deal with Valk looks, love em or hate em. I don't think any one can say this new Triumph is not very proportional and smooth looking...Understated cool. AYYYY!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: Too little juice

I don't know about under muscled. That twin puts out 20 more horsepower than the evo hogs (friend's Road Thing dynoed at 41 hp) and about the same as the tc. Yeah, more inches give more low torque but the end result is the same... just a different point on the rpm scale.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the Legent TT, Adventurer, and the Thuderbird were such dramatic US sales successes that they can add one more cruiser to their line?

Were all the potential buyers out there saying no to an inline triple so they could have a lower capacity lower power vertical twin?

If they want do go with "Cruiser Heritage" a raked out chopper with ape hangers and hardtail suspension would be the way to go, since so many people cusomized Triumphs this way in the seventies.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.