Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Big Hoss Power Already On Market

I test drove a 350 horsepower Corvette V-8 engined scoot called a Boss Hoss once.

It had a lot more stability over 150 mph than my XX due to its 1100 pound curb weight. It seemed to pull about as strong but was nearly five feet wide and had one forward speed (you slipped the clutch below 20 and it accellerated briskly from idle.) so it wasn't practical for my twisty road home zone.

It could easily out-snoot any Harley, but ownership and use demands more than mere money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Motorcycle Land Speed Record kind of talk

I have noticed aerodynamic drag increases as to the cube of speed increases. Since horsepower is torque times speed, dividing speed out from both sides of the equation makes the torque required to drive a vehicle through tires on the ground go up as the square of the speed increase. Twice as fast requires four times the torque.

The normal maximum torque force a tire can exert against the ground is the weight on the tire times the coefficient of friction of the tire on the surface.

This has limited the top speed of all who have tried for that record.

I have a great solution, and a design that gets around this problem. If there is anyone else out there interested in actually for real getting the motorcycle unlimited speed record, please let me know if you want a solution that works and is not terribly expensive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Motorcycle Land Speed Record for $100k

Not only that, I can clearly explain how, and even why I should drive it. It seems like some of you repliers have an understanding of the forces acting on a motorcycle at its top speed, especially the idea that aero drag equals motive power, and motive power is applied through a contact patch between tire and surface. That's good.

I was there when my pal Richard Noble's Thrust SSC vehicle broke the sound barrier. I have special knowledge therefrom that could translate into a very substantial boost to the record.

If any reader wants to play hot rod games out at El Mirage with Team Hammerhead, let me know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Carry Over Info Aerodynamic

Interface between air disturbance caused by a vehicle in motion and the ground causes most of the end-over-end tumbles or wild course variations seen pursuing speed records over about 300 mph.

Managing disturbed air is what's so different about this design. What was once a problem becomes a solution bringing other significant benefits.

Team Hammerhead needs a sponsor. I'll be glad to discuss this at length with anyone who'd like a place in history for not much money.

http://[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Further details available to potential sponsors

If I did I'd be giving away my too-good idea. Inventors mostly get reamed. Consider Festo v. Shoketsu Kinzoku Kogyo Kabashiki, a very recent Supreme Court decision that makes infringing on patents much easier.

Team Hammerhead needs a sponsor. If anyone wants a place in history for about the price of a car (okay, an S model Benz) please contact me.

http://[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
BMW ABS makes farting noises

They provide a sonic counterpoint to those nice curves.

Pilot's license! Good idea cause I already have an airline transport rating. I expected our government to require me to qualify on the pistol range after 9/11 but the way things are going I can see being required to maintain motorcycle currency too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It would be evident at first glance

Thank you for your kind words. The aerodynamics for wheel driven motorcycles differ from rocket propelled ones, but the same problems with stability and control can be solved the same way.

I am seriously considering rocket power although I would like to go after the wheel driven motorcycle record first, as it's so low now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts