Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Exactly!

And this is one reason I wouldn't cry that much if horsepower limits were legislated. The manufacturers would respond by making bikes lighter and lighter.

If they can stuff 145HP into a 400 pound bike, why not 72HP in a 200 pound bike? It would be WAY more fun, and cheaper to operate, insure and buy.

Imagine a 300 pound sportbike with a 90 HP engine and brakes strong enough to shoot you over the handlebars, and WSB spec suspension. All for less than $10k. That's what they should be building, because let's face it Gixerboy, more than 90 HP is a waste on the street, but we can all use less weight, more brakes, and better suspension.

·
Registered
720 Posts
8k too much?

If this bike cost as much as an F4i, you wouldn't buy it? But what if it were more fun to ride and taught you more about fast riding? Plus, if you factored in resale (Dukes, MZ's, Huskys, ATK's, and other limited production bikes hold their value pretty well) it would really be cheaper than a Japanese 600, even at $8k.

If it was a true daily driver and had high-quality components, 8k would be cheap.

·
Registered
720 Posts
HELLO!!!!!! MZ?

If anybody is interested in a slick-looking street thumper with a killer motor, brakes and suspension, look no further then the local MZ dealer. The Skorpion Cup lists for $5795 new- less than an SV650, and you don't have to sink a grand into the suspension to make it safe to ride! Plus it's lighter and is designed to be ridden fast on bumpy, twisty roads.

http://www.motorradna.com/motorcycles/Cup/Cup.htm

It's almost like stealing, really:

Tigcraft frame

Yamaha 660 Liquid cooled single (unobtainable in the US, unless you buy a Raptor Quad)

Paioli/Boge Suspension. (Ducati uses Boge)

"Shoot you over the bars" Grimeca brakes

Full fairing.

It would easily cost you $20,000 to do this on your own.

The downside is a little buzziness and a pretty marked lack of power, especially if you've grown up on over-powered busses like most US sportriders. But for $1500, you can bump up compression, replace the exhaust, get new cams and carbs, and pow! 60 RWHP! And get creative with Mr. Hacksaw, and now you're under 350 pounds. That's 5.8 pounds per HP- not great, but at least in

VFR territory- and does anybody think a VFR accellerates slowly?

I wish I hadn't sold mine, but I ride with a fast crowd, and couln't keep up without gearing the bike to the moon. Maybe someday I'll get another. But more people should look at the MZ, it's a good company and they deserve that much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.