Motorcycle Forums banner

Borile B500CR Feedback

22K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  Gixxerboy 
#1 ·
where's the headlight?

#27 ·
No doubt your GB 500 kicks this thing's butt in the 3 ilitys (reliability, civility, and parts availability) but with 60+ H.P., 230 LBS, and modern wheel / tire combinations, this thing will peel the skin off of your GB. Sign me up, I'll take two.

#28 ·
8k too much?

If this bike cost as much as an F4i, you wouldn't buy it? But what if it were more fun to ride and taught you more about fast riding? Plus, if you factored in resale (Dukes, MZ's, Huskys, ATK's, and other limited production bikes hold their value pretty well) it would really be cheaper than a Japanese 600, even at $8k.

If it was a true daily driver and had high-quality components, 8k would be cheap.

#31 ·
90HP weakling :cool:

Restricting horsepower is like eliminating hand guns, it doesn't matter that neither have reasonable uses, it probably won't happen (with the possible exception of corporate meddling, car manufacturers might like sports cars to have the performance of sports bikes and bike HP restrictions are just about the only way that will ever happen). I'd love to have a 300 pound (wet) 90HP sports bike. To put into concrete terms, that would be like a Suzuki DR-Z400 with better than twice the power. Yeeha, ride'em cowboy :cool:.

#34 ·
Like the old saying goes: I can get faster, but you ain't gonna get any prettier. Ever hear of 601cc kit for the GB. As a final note, if I want to 'peel the skin' off someone on a motorbike, my first choice won't be a 500cc single.

Take a closer look at the photos. That thing is hideous. And it wouldn't sell well in the US for a couple of reasons:

It's ugly.

It's underpowered compared to what you'd be able to buy with equivalent cash.

It's Italian, so it *may* have reliability issues.

Parts would be scarce.

Just look how many Dukes are rolling off showroom floors.

#35 ·
$5K to $8K! That's excessive for a minimalist motorcycle more like $3K to $5K. You have to realize that the Suzuki SV650S can be had for about $5900. And that is one great motorcycle. My Suzuki DR350 weighs in at about 280 lbs. and it is a fun in-town commuter. This bike wouid be awsome for this purpose. Heck, I would buy one in a heartbeat! Why didn't BMW build something like this instead of their overweight 650? Didn't they make some great singles in their past? Yamaha used to have the SR600, but I guess it didn't appeal to the Ricky-Racer crowd. I would love someone to build a reliable, lightweight, simple motorcycle that is easy to maintain. One of the motorcycle manufacturer's should build the motorcycle equivalent of the original VW Beetle or Toyota Land Cruiser, bulletproof and reliable. You could then go to any country, anywhere in the world and ride no matter what the fuel is like and still get spare parts should you need them. Parts would be inexpensive and a strong custom market would follow. Singles and twins forever!

#36 ·
Re: 8k too much?

$8K is too much for a 500 cc single. You have been indoctrinated to accept the high cost of motorcycles today. Is $8K for BMW's 650 acceptable to you? Overall, this is a low-tech motorcycle, with most of it's component's off the shelf. The Borile concept is what has grabbed everyone's attention. I really think it is the 229 lb. weight and 50+ hp that has everyone's noodle working overtime. And that you could wrench one together yourself in the back of your bicycle shop. There are a lot of custom bicycle framemakers out there. I wonder if they would like to try their hand at custom motorcycle frames? Then we could all build a Borile.

#38 ·
Re: 90HP weakling :cool:

Yeah, I'm would not be a fan of limiting hp because I do like the feeling of big accelleration after the ton but, realistically speaking, I don't do all that much of that.. well sorta not much :)

HOWEVER, T'would be cool if manufactures brought out some funky singles. I read an article on this guy who souped up an SRX600 - bored out to 660, higher compression nice suspension/tires etc, and ended up on the light side of 300lbs (i think). Man that bike was a looker and even at only 60 hp, it would go and handle like nothing this side of an FZR400.

Prob is, everyone wants the big numbers (must admit that's one reason I bought the old 1100 gsxr - I'm older, somewhat wiser and much more sore now). It would be nice if someone would take the chance and build what we're looking for... Triumph, you listening????

#39 ·
Nope, buell used a 10,000 lb hardly engine and attempted to do the same thing for a rather large price tag. Don't get me wrong, Buells look cool and go pretty fast but they're not the same at all.

Let's get some cool, super light weight singles with loads of brakes and suspension for some serious riding - easier to fix if you crash too ;-)

#40 ·
Hey, guys, get a KLR 250. It's 240lb, and screams on the street. Seriously. Put a smaller wheel up front and you've got the beginning of a great city-Motard (although I will admit that the graphics and new color scheme are atrocious. Oh, well that's what paint is for).

#42 ·
What's your point about the dukes?

That they are selling, or are not selling? Dukes are totally ugly, but in a cool way. Same with the MZ black panther and bhagira. Totally ugly, totally cool. I don't care much for pretty bikes. GB500s are nice, but not terribly exciting.

#44 ·
HELLO!!!!!! MZ?

If anybody is interested in a slick-looking street thumper with a killer motor, brakes and suspension, look no further then the local MZ dealer. The Skorpion Cup lists for $5795 new- less than an SV650, and you don't have to sink a grand into the suspension to make it safe to ride! Plus it's lighter and is designed to be ridden fast on bumpy, twisty roads.

http://www.motorradna.com/motorcycles/Cup/Cup.htm

It's almost like stealing, really:

Tigcraft frame

Yamaha 660 Liquid cooled single (unobtainable in the US, unless you buy a Raptor Quad)

Paioli/Boge Suspension. (Ducati uses Boge)

"Shoot you over the bars" Grimeca brakes

Full fairing.

It would easily cost you $20,000 to do this on your own.

The downside is a little buzziness and a pretty marked lack of power, especially if you've grown up on over-powered busses like most US sportriders. But for $1500, you can bump up compression, replace the exhaust, get new cams and carbs, and pow! 60 RWHP! And get creative with Mr. Hacksaw, and now you're under 350 pounds. That's 5.8 pounds per HP- not great, but at least in

VFR territory- and does anybody think a VFR accellerates slowly?

I wish I hadn't sold mine, but I ride with a fast crowd, and couln't keep up without gearing the bike to the moon. Maybe someday I'll get another. But more people should look at the MZ, it's a good company and they deserve that much.

#45 ·
Build your own

The styling can't be duplicated but a Honda CR500 engine will fit into a Suzuki GS500 with ease, not to mention lighter weight and better handling. (This swap has been done but I won't tell by who given large displacement 2 strokes are illeagal on the street. Thank you Ralph Nator)

Sorry about the spelling it is late.

#47 ·
The curvy tube frame always looked strange to me, but the concept sounds good. I agree that the MuZ Skorpion Tour might be a more practical version of that idea, but the more the merrier.

Yossef Schvantz... didn't he do articles on the Vespa ET2 and ET4? How's the ET2 doing? Do they have a 125 cc version of the stratified-charge 2-stroke engine yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.