Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any help in advance.

Here goes ...

I recently install new clutch/brake levers on my '05 Suzuki GSXR 750. Since the installation, my brakes seem to "build pressure" as I ride and the more I use my brakes. They build pressure until the lever virtually has no play at all and then the brakes lock up. I have bled the brakes numerous times and consulted with various sources and no one has been able to offer any good ideas.

Thanks again.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
In the front brake lever perch/master cylinder assembly, there is an actuation rod that has "bleed" holes in it, that allows the brake flud to return back into the cylinder when the brake lever is released. If the lever is misadjusted that causes the bleed hole port to be covered, or the bleed hole is blocked by corrosion, heat from the calipers will cause the fluid to expand, and pressurize the system, causing the pay in the lever to tignten up, and eventually lock up the brake.

Since the brake was working OK before you changed the lever, I'd say it caused by a maladjusted rod, not corrosion. Some folks mistake this easy fix for corrosion in the caliper itself.

Give that a looksee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the quick response. You are the first person that has made any sense regarding what is happening. However, I am still unsure as to the position of this rod you speak of. Are you talking about the rod that activates the plunger or am I looking in the wrong position? Can I find this/adjust it with the lever on or does it need to come off?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yes, it's the rod that the lever touches via the adjustment bolt.

The new lever should have a bolt with a locknut on it, that impinges on the actuation rod. That's the adjustment you want to look at. If the bolt is adjusted out too far, it will push the actuation rod too far in (at rest) and cover up the bleed hole/port in the lever perch.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Thanks for any help in advance.

Here goes ...

I recently install new clutch/brake levers on my '05 Suzuki GSXR 750. Since the installation, my brakes seem to "build pressure" as I ride and the more I use my brakes. They build pressure until the lever virtually has no play at all and then the brakes lock up. I have bled the brakes numerous times and consulted with various sources and no one has been able to offer any good ideas.

Thanks again.
If these were aftermarket levers, they may be shaped wrong by not allowing the rod in the master cylinder to come out as far as it needs to. I saw this happen on a GoldWing where a guy installed aftermarket levers. They may need some filing where the lever meets the actuation rod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Turns out, the aftermarket levers that were supposed to fit were shaped differently and were not allowing the correct range of motion. Thanks again.

Why it didn't occur to me earlier to look at that is beyond me. I guess I just really wanted to complicate things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.