Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
What ever you choose for the first go around make sure you don't invest over $2500 for it. That way when you drop it to the ground or lowside it in your first panic braking excercise you won't be crying about the damage.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
4 cylinder 8 valve UJM that will keep running with minimal maint.

The 500 went to a twin cylinder config around 1986, and became a real dog. A impossible to hurt dog that is (based on the 450 twin Suzi).

Don't pay more than $700.00 for a clean example.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Yes yes

4 cylinder 8 valve UJM that will keep running with minimal maint.

The 500 went to a twin cylinder config around 1986, and became a real dog. A impossible to hurt dog that is (based on the 450 twin Suzi).

Don't pay more than $700.00 for a clean example.
Don't fall for the ridiculous prices that people are pretending their ancient leaky bikes are worth these days. $700 would be for a mint condition 500 without any leaks.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My '71 R5 leaks a bit of gas yet, though I was paid to to take it. So maybe you should look for a bike with a bunch of leaks and make money off the deal. :)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
My '71 R5 leaks a bit of gas yet, though I was paid to to take it. So maybe you should look for a bike with a bunch of leaks and make money off the deal. :)
Dude! How ya likin' the R5? Ain't that powerband a kick in the arse? And those double-leading drum brakes aren't as bad as most people think.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
You, ah.... kinda-sorta should REALLY look-into gettin' them fuel-leaks fixed. I personally know of SEVEN (7) bikes that burned to-the-ground because of a teeny-tiny itty-bitty leak.........

(and third-degree burns hurt like a Mofo!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.