Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to hear u had a bad experience with "new triumphs". Me personally - other than a broken wire to a cut-out switch mines been fault free after 110,000 km. Changed original chains&spks at 78,000 km and still going strong. I've owned R1100rt, ST2 plus others and for me my '01 sprint beats them all. Mined u when I wear this one out, Ill seriously consider a moto guzzi - may be the Norge 1200.

Enjoy ur new ride!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm also a bit curious to find out what problems you had with which Triumph. I've put almost 10k miles on a combo of a 00 RS, 01 RS and 05 ST. Obviously not all experiences are alike, but I've done nothing but enjoy my 3 Sprints.

What did you replace with the Guzzi? I'm not sure what to catagorize it as. Cruiser? Standard? Either way, it is a nice looking bike. I've always wondered if Guzzi's pose a heat annoyance since the heads are sticking out there a bit closer to your legs.

Anyway, good luck with the bike. Even if it isn't a Triumph, I'm glad you found something unique that you enjoy. Thats what its all about in the end anyway.

·
Registered
473 Posts
shoddy triumphs?

add me to the list of those who don't understand your knock of triumphs. i have had zero problems with my '95 sprint. just many happy, trouble-free miles.

do you know which end of the spanner goes where?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Feel good while you can. I work at Atlanta Triumph Ducati Moto Guzzi. You will without doubt run into problems when it comes to servicing your bike. When Piaggio bought MG and Aprilia they moved the USA HQ for these two companies to NY where Piaggio is based. Since that time parts have been a mightmare. As our Sales Mgr says "Why buy a Guzzi when you could simply take your d*ck out lay it on a table and hit it with a hammer." We've got Guzzis down in the shop that have been there for as long a 9 months waiting on parts. One of my insurance customers had his Cali sitting there since Nov 05 waiting on transmission parts that were part of a recall. I love the bikes but hate the fact that the factory support has gone to sh*t since the move out of GA.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
People who aren't independantly wealthy?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: shoddy triumphs?

I know which end of a spanner goes where...and I have a dissenting opinion

Check the 1999 comparo done right here at MO with the 955i. A DEAD Daytona was the end result.

Personally, I had a failed crankshaft bearing at ~16k miles on my 2000 model with little warning--locked the rear tire at ~50mph (saved it, but had to clean my shorts afterward). I should have known better after reading the MO review. A quick search of t595.net will show I'm not alone. Triumph would not acknowledge it as a chronic problem, but I didn't expect them to. All manufacturers have problems that they ignore. I'd love to put a 675 in my garage, but I'll be bitter for a LONG time...

·
Registered
446 Posts
So what do *you* ride, Ace?

--Man, I miss the north Georgia mountains. Course, Nashville's commute isn't quite the trek through Dante's Inferno that the morning connector is. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Marty,

I'm planning to get a Griso soon and, like you, think the stock muffler's hideous. Any pictures of what you've come-up with? I was thinking of something along the lines of a more traditional tapered mega.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2006 Breva 1100. My dealer was able to get the recalled CARC (shaft drive) pretty quick, less than 2 weeks, as I remember.

However...

I've been waiting on a windshield since at least March. I got the hard side bags within a couple of months. My dealer has told me it's pretty bad with the parts. Sad to hear it's not improved yet.

Regardless, I don't regret buying it in the least. Out of my 6 motorcycles I've owned, it's the best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is easy to get parts for Moto Guzzi's you just have to know who to order them from. I waited 4 months to get parts from Atlanta Triumph. The next time I needed parts I went with a recommended source and got them in a week. One of the parts had to come from Italy! These were the same parts it took me four months to get earlier. Guzzi is a small family get on Wildguzzi we will help you with anything you need.

ATD is a good dealer they just have problems getting parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just taken my daughter on a 400 mile round trip on the back of the Griso. She really enjoyed it in spite of the relatively small pillion pad on the back. Roads here in NZ are generally quite twisty and very badly surfaced so it was a bit tiring for her on the return. Overall she loved it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My problems with new Triumphs have been paint runs down the fairings (sprint st), problems with gearboxes (thunderbird), noisey top end requiring repair (sprint st and earlier sprint sport). Add to that poor coating on some of the metal parts (possibly climate-related).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.