Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
If I live to be 100 a Brit-bike will still be what comes to mind when I visualize a motorcycle. A classic BSA, candy-apple red, with chromed tank-sides; that's the ticket. One time, the Jones was so overpowering that I considered buying a Royal Enfield. Yeow! How crazy is that?

Yeah, I really admire all the new bikes: fast, reliable, and much more capable than I am. But, somehow they will always be missing something (probably, a puddle of oil).

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Shouldn't all Britbike rallies be held in the geographical center of the country? I mean, how many people can spare the 3 months it would take to ride a BSA from Seattle to Maryland and back? How many people can afford to have someone follow them in a pickup filled with tools and spares?

Maybe it would help if the promoters placed caches of zener diodes around the country.

If you liked the idea that Sturgis is trailercity you'll looove this rally.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
For me it's the pre-unit Triumph twins with the accessory rack on the tank.

Why not indulge yourself? You can get parts for many of these 40 year old bikes more easily than you can for 14 year old Suzukis.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Great report - It's always nice to see an occasional article about the old bikes. I had a '64 Bonneville and a '69 Norton Mercury (the last of the Featherbeds), and loved them both. They can be made into reasonably reliable bikes if you are willing to do a bit of work. Nylock nuts are a big help! ;-)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Early 70's Bonnevilles and Tridents are to me, what a motorcycle should look like. The Hinkley Bonnies come close, especialy the all black version, but the tank seam and kink in the exhaust pipe are incorrect.

My ideal would be to have a new oil tight electricaly reliable version for a daily driver alongside my Trophy, then have an original purple and white '72 Trident for eye-candy and Sunday rides.

Did you ever get the Avons? Want to hear something else? I've got 30k miles in all weather on the stock chain and sprockets and it still doesn't need ajustment. I clean it about every 400 miles or so with CRC 3-36 ride around to fling it off, then spray with Honda Pro chain lube. and it's staying right around 1.5 in. slack. I've never heard of a open chain lasting this long. Amazing, shows the top notch componantes Triumph are using these days.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It's hard to think of a more beautiful bike to grace my garage than a 60's Gold Star like this.

Got a couple more thousand miles to burn off the ol' D205 before I try the Avon. Probably be next month. I can't think of the last time I had to adjust, clean or lube the chain on my Suzuki.

·
Registered
955 Posts
LOL! Good point. Hey! I gotta an idea. You find out where the largest contengent is coming from and follow them. You could make a fortune on Ebay, from the parts you pick-up along side the road.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'd love indulging myself but it gets me in trouble. Actually, the W-30 Kaw would be more up my ally. Okay, it ain't the real thing; but as a painless commuter and short tourer it would be fine. It might be one of the few bikes that I could climb on and still keep my promise, not to go over 100-mph. Personally, I think it looks more like a mid-sixties Triumph than the Hinkley Bonneville.

What's cool is that the W-30 didn't sell worth beans and, anymore, that's pretty close to the asking price.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
LOL..I mean jeez, how many whitworth screws are left on this planet? How much towrope? Isn't zeiner (Znr2) an outlawed substance?

And they shut down the babbet mines long ago...

Cheers!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I actually have an old double box end whitworth wrench in a dark dank musty recess of my rollaway. It's a handmedown from some relative who worked in a coal mine in the 1800s. It's a simply amazing tool. Neither end will fit any nut be it SAE or metric. Simply fantastic. I should have it bronzed. I keep it next to my old ducati 250 piston with the head of the exhaust valve buried in the crown.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I've got 3 whitworth box-open end combos that read XXX, 9, and 1/8 ( the 1/8th is about the size of a 19mm wrench).

They don't fit anything either, but are fun to lend to people when they want to borrow tools. Always seem to get 'em back, btw.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I think there's some sort of joke in here about how many mototcycle geeks it takes to make up a full set of whitworth tools.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Had a '58 T110 with the six pack rack & Smiths ammeter in the headlight shell. Green with white stripes and a Cobra seat. Lucas mag. That was back when I could shift on the right with no problem.

A buddy of mine has it sitting in his garage. Won't sell it back. Bummer.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
On a completely unrelated topic, this last Saturday I went riding with a buddy who forsake his ’91 KX500 for a 1 year old KTM EXC 525. Paid big $$$ for it.

This is a guy I’ve been riding with for about 20 years. He always rode open class two strokes. No slouch. One weekend I’d smoke him; next weekend it was the other way around.

So after a few easy rides he goads me into a drag race on the dry lake (El Mirage). I tried to change the subject (knowing this guy’s the ultimate competitive big-bore desert rider, and how he’d feel about getting smoked) but he persisted.

Anyway, my ratty 18-year-old CR500 beat that new 4 striker by 10-15 bike lengths at least. Not even close. Even on top end where you figure a 4 stroke has the advantage.

Later, I rode the Katoom, and it reminded me of a Bucyrus Erie 795. Not impressive. In fact, if that was an example of the "four stroke revolution" I’ll keep my antiquated 500cc 2 stroke, thank you.

It was kind of quite on the ride back home…

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh yeah. My IT175 is quite competitive powerwise against the latest "hot" 4-stroke 250s. There's a lot of self-deception going on because people don't want to admit what a huge step backwards competiton 4strokes are on both track and dirt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love the drily humorous event description and knowledgeable tidbits of bike lore. Sounds like a wonderful event--I hope I can come this year. Please ask David to report on it for those of us who may not make it, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.