Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
General observations from Saturday

I wish the Superbike crowd could get its act together from a marketing perspective. This is a fabulous sport with embarassingly small crowds. $ pizzas would have fed everyone yesterday.

It's a great bargain for sure. A $30 general admission ticket got me in and my son was free. AMA is blowing it with the scheduling though. The Supermoto races run almost the entire time which provides non-stop action, however, those races should stop prior to the main event! We're trying to watch the racers grid and listen to the track announcer through the din of 30 thumpers on the Supermoto track.

The racket went on through the national anthem and the start of the Superbike race. You couldn't even hear the main event when it went to the backside of the track. Extremely annoying and not befitting the main event.

Spectators are allowed into the Terrace Suites above pit lane which makes for an awesome view. Those seats would be a small fortune at a NASCAR race!

The Saturday race was pretty dull except for the battle between the two Ducatis and Duhamel on the Honda.

I might need to allude to the demise of every other motorcycle but Suzuki in racing.

AMA you've got a great product but some significant mistakes were made regarding the Supermoto scheduling which really took away from the quality of the main event.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Regarding Fontana, it's obvious that there is a marketing problem. We are in the heart of SoCal, arguably the motorcycle capital of the US, and there were empty seats on the small set of stands for the Superbike race Saturday? Also, at decent tracks (Laguna Seca) you have screens to see the action in part of the tracks you can't see, and a decent PA system keeps you informed. All that was nonexistent or pathetic. The "expo" was also pretty pathetic: I would expect more vendors to come in and sell to the motorcycle crowd. I hope the crowds are better today, although the nice thing is that you were never in a line that was more than 1-2 minutes wait.

Still, AMA is missing the boat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Street racing should be huge in the US. If you look at how we love our sports stars, singular and flamboyant, on the surface it seems like a perfect fit. Whereas with team sports a marketing department does its best to separate the individual from the team and promote fanatical followings, with street racing you've already got that part of things covered. To top it off, the guy is just sitting on a couple hundred pounds of metal flinging his body down the track at absurd speeds and angles.

If NASCAR can take anonymous cars running in one godawful, boring circle week after week and build an empire on personality, what could AMA do with a race series that is actually interesting to watch?

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Quit your day job in 2009

Perhaps when President H. Clinton takes over in 2009 and enacts legislation to enable Medicare to cover all Americans you can quit your day job and do marketing for the AMA...Seriously you have some great observations and I am sure they could use someone with serious Marketing talent like you.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Quit your day job in 2009

I think there will be a big market for supplemental insurance to cover gaps. Basic care is what the ProMedicare for everyone are promoting... like the rest of the industrailized world including Japan, U.K. Germany, Italy and.... of course France... see the trend..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

In addition it shifts the cost burden from the Private sector to the Public sector. i.e. lets companies focus on what they do best... i.e their core compentencies...making money not providing benefits..

·
Registered
10,900 Posts

You might want to check the unemployment rates and GDPs of those countries.

Anyway, don't turn a racing thread into a health insurance thread.

I think the AMA should try to piggyback onto NASCAR events perhaps. Imagine having the Superbike race the same day as the Busch race at the California Speedway.

It's a damn shame that Michael freaking Jordon is involved in Superbike racing and still no one has heard of it!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

Agree about the thread hi-jacking, you're not going to change anybodys mind so save it.

Tying racing in with NASCAR might not work, but maybe the sportscar series would, they use the same track right.?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Reed and Carmichael tied in points. Bubba 5 points down. Season finale in Vegas next weekend will broadcast live.

Salminen goes for 6 in a row in GNCC. Hayden leads in MotoGP points. KTM wins first 250 GP.

Who gives a rat's @ss about AMA (Suzuki) superbikes?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

The AMA ties the half-mile flattrack race in Joliet with the NASCAR race that same weekend. Since I didn't attend last year, I wonder if it boosted attendance. I went to the Joliet race about 4 years ago, and it was simply the worst run event I ever saw in my life. I will probably go this year, and I hope they got their act together since the last event I was at. Marketing is everything for this stuff. No cash, no people. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do like road raceing but..

The simple truth is for the most part oval racing is a better spectator sport than road racing. It is easier to watch from the stands. That is why Nascar and and Indy racing are so much more popular in the US than road racing. I keep hoping things like in car and on bike cameras will change that for TV at least.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

Right no thread hijacking....I watched the two Superbike races they weren't that competitive. I think Supersport is the most fun to watch..

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Re: I do like road raceing but..

It depends on the track really. The Speedway is a difficult venue because it's flat all the way around. Laguna Seca is a great place to watch because it's on the side of a hill and you can get many different view points if you're willing to hustle around a bit.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: General observations from Saturday

I thought supermoto was supposed to be the big event this year?

Infineon (Infinion Raceway - stupid name - they should have kept it Sears Point) has really improved things - except it lost its homey feel. Now, it's a more modern setup for the fans. The track is still about the same though - only minor improvements from what I can see. Cold pits are great with lots visibility of the crew and racers when they are present. The grandstand isn't very good for viewing a race. But, they usually broadcast the race on an AM channel so you should be parking your butt at a favorite corner and listening to the race on the radio. If you really want to see the race you have to stay home and watch it on TV.

Laguna Seca sucks by comparison. Tracks better, but they don't cater for the crowd well and most of the best places to watch the race are on the dirt.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: I do like road raceing but..

If you are willing to stand, sit in the dirt or pay extra for the bleacher seats.

The track is great!

I like Turn 4, because you can sit down, have some lunch and watch the race on the screen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.