Motorcycle Forums banner

Buell At Daytona

14K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  johnnyb 
#1 ·
FTP - GO BUELL

#2 ·
First Post! I wish them the best of luck.. Hope they do something!

#5 ·
"We started with our Buell Firebolt XB12R model, which has wonderful handling, and did the modifications allowed by the AMA rules," said Buell.

- which included a huge forge.

With the liberal rules on engine modifications they shoulda put a Honda engine in it and made both Honda and Buell happy!

We still have a week and a half to make fun of this.

My bet's on Jeremy McWilliams. Penzkofer might be interesting - similar to a BMW cup race for him?

#6 ·
The AMA must tickled pink that somebody has finally produced an American made bike that might be competitive. In fact, I'm not a bit surprised that they (the AMA) are "enthusiastically" supporting the Buell effort-look at the *****-poor performance of the HD superbike that left egg on everbody's face associated with it (and the rule bending that took place to get it on the track).

Bryan...still, it would't hurt my feelings to see a Buell do well...

#8 ·
I've heard everyone from Erion to Cycle News (Abrams) complain about this. Privateers are inherently poor. Buell did the right thing by supplying a Factory bike for racers. Hell, if Honda did the same would there be all this whining. Way to go Mr. Buell. Good looking out for the little guy.

#15 ·
if it helps, y not think of it as a race kit that comes on wheels instead of in boxes?

Doncha wonder about the real economics of XBRR? They're selling for $30K, but with only 50 to be sold and with Buell's financial commitment to racing, they might actually cost twice that much to build, especially if development costs were included. So the Lucky Fifty get a hella swell racebike for a fraction of what it would cost to build up from a streetbike. Meanwhile, competitors on other brands--taking the route implicit in the rules--pay full retail to turn their streetbikes into racebikes and end up at a disadvantage to the factory-subsidized XBRR.

#16 ·
as compared to previous FX seasons, when only the guys on factory Hondas had a shot? seems like buell is only evening the playing field at his own expense. it's a foregone conclusion those bikes are worth more than 30k. wonder how many of the 50 will be at Daytona? wonder how many other brands will be in FX?

#18 ·
I for one will be trying to figure which of the damned channels on my old school big c-band big dish to find this on!Got digital channels,east west,about 700 channels but find the motorcycle racing stuff?NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!Help a brother out mofo,s!!!Oh yeah by the way Go Buell!

#19 ·
'Sposedly SPEED is carrying the 200 thusly:

11:00 am AMA Superbike Championship Daytona (LIVE)

12:30 pm AMA Flat Track Championship Daytona

1:30 pm AMA Formula Xtreme The Daytona 200 (LIVE)

#22 ·
Speed TV should have it. The Daytona 200 has gotton as high up the ladder as ESPN2 a couple of years. Check your Sunday Paper TV magazine listings next week. Otherwise, check Cycle News - it's in there. Be careful, some cable outfits rebroadcast races later. They really jerk the WSB and MotoGP around but usually the Daytona is broadcast live. Thank God it's between all the major sports seasons!

#24 ·
Oh Please Stop with the B.S. Unfair UnAmerican

""We started with our Buell Firebolt XB12R model, which has wonderful handling, and did the modifications allowed by the AMA rules," said Buell. "

Right we started with a Buell Firebolt (1203cc) then we gave it a new larger engine (1339cc ) , new fairing, new etc...

So OK if I am Suzuiki can I take a 600 stuff a 750 cc engine in it and race against the Buell. No Mr. Yamaha We are American bigots Only American made bikes get to have their own rules i.e. no rules. If this was a European/Japanese vendor doing this in a European/Japanese Race you Buellers would be all over it as being unfair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.