Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Geez if Buell comes out with one I might steal the title from the Grape Prophylactic.

I figure H-D already has plenty of experience with 60 degree twins so why not? The core Buellers would dig it and it might bring in some Ducati Monster buyers.

The squids would still stay away in droves but who gives a crap? They have no brand loyalty anyway and would just jack up insurance rates with their crappy riding.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
GPTB still DOESN'T GET IT. One more time students.

longride you are so short sighted. Are Gen Ys going to buy cruisers? Not just no but hell no. HD's market is going to start dying off. Buell is the future. But they have to get a modern engine. longride the only constant in life is change. All of you are thinking the urrent market demographics are static. longride you are a young boomer. My neighbor is an old boomer and he is 60. What is the average age of the HD buyer? The only way to bring in young buyers is to build a bike that will apeal to Gen Y and X. Buell with a Ducati 748 or 1000 cc type engine would sell like hot cakes.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: That's the KP we're used to....

Hey I have been right a hell of lot more times than you, Buz and longride combined. You guys were on Burns and I when we said the Iraq war was a big mistake. You and your buds were wrong again about W, Fox News, WMD, etc. The list goes on and on..

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I thought your Ninja was still in the shop?

Where's the Picture of you standing next to it?

Daughter still have your camera, won't let you use it?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That would probably be a cool bike. It all comes down to whether there are enough customers for it, which is information that we don't really have, unfortunately.

If it doesn't sell in significantly bigger numbers than the current XBs, it'll be deemed a failure from a business standpoint. Is it enough to grab a lot more customers? I can't say with any certainty but my guess would be probably not.

My assumption is that a good part of the Monster's appeal is derived from the Ducati logo on the tank--the halo effect from the vaunted Ducati superbikes and the feeling of Italian exotica. Buell doesn't have that kind of cache.

Buell's position is a bit tricky. They're not likely to grab too many of the squids, but it's getting to be time for a change. Right or wrong, from a perception standpoint, the motor is a big liability. And perception is...well, you know. So what do they do?

A new motor doesn't have to put them in direct competition with the supersports, especially assuming it's a twin, but you know the temptation will be there to compare them.

Like I said, tricky.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Re: The Denial crowd.

Sure its been lauded, it won 2002 Naked Bike shootout. But check those dyno charts. Compare the FZ-1 and ZRX-1200R curves to Speed Triple, what do you see?

I help you here: serious lack of oomph and torq on low to mid revs, and then a sudden cut due to the narrower power band. Way more expensive. And is the quality and reliability up to the Japanese level, not in my opinion.

- cruiz-euro

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.