Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I got myself a '04 Buell XB12R a couple weeks ago and Im not lookin for a slip on muffler, used in good condition for a reasonable price. So if you have one or know of someone lookin to part with one let me know. So far I really like the bike..plenty of grunt and corners like a dream....but...I could still use that little extra umph! After all loud muffler do help save lives...or so I hear.:cool: Clint

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Assuming you meant you are actually looking, and Not "not looking," my advice is to do your research first.

That motor is at a fairly high state of tune. The wrong pipe can really screw up its performance.

One option to consider is to send your can (the muffler, that is) to a shop to have it "re-done" for max flow, while maintaining the proper backpressure and harmonic properties.

A buddy did this a couple years ago for his XB9. It sounded like a hotrod Chevy and ran great, except the front tire was always coming off the ground. A big added benefit to this option is you get to keep your jacking point. Few, if any aftermarket cans will do that.

And, even if you were being facetious, the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" argument is horse-hockey. The only folks that hear you are the ones NOT in front of you. And like Miss Sachi says, all it does is p!ss those people off.

HTH!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
You're best bet is going to be to leave it stock and use the money for tires, brake pads and bright riding gear, those are the things that'll save your bacon, not making a lot of noise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed. I found that looking out for yourself and being seen is far more important than a loud muffler. I have tested a Buell Firebolt. I found the exhaust to be louder than my R6 In my opinion it is sound quality that is important over loudness. A stock Buell, even a stock Harley, has great sound quality.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Agreed. I found that looking out for yourself and being seen is far more important than a loud muffler. I have tested a Buell Firebolt. I found the exhaust to be louder than my R6 In my opinion it is sound quality that is important over loudness. A stock Buell, even a stock Harley, has great sound quality.
True, my buddy rides a stock XB9 and it sounds and runs great. My Dyna is also stock with 88dba 49 state legal Harley Accessory slash cuts, Sounds and runs great. Why waste money screwing up a good running bike?

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Why?

Why waste money screwing up a good running bike?
Because it's cool and STUFF! Wailing down the road, shattering glass and backfiring like a 38 special! Valves burning everywhere! The smell of unburned gas and fouled plugs! What's not to like?

Don't forget the pod filters! The piece de resistance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.