Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Secret Testing!?

Well maybe it could happen. I'll wait until it does happen. I remember there was a lot of hope for HDs VR1000, but the best Pasqual Picotte did was a 2nd place finish at Sears Point. And Triumph had their 110hp TT600 that was to top the Jap 600s in 2000, but in spite of the Isle of Man Production TT win in 2003 (4?) they never got factory support here and never finished above 15th.

Maybe with the favorable rules change this year Buell will make it happen. Either they (a) lead the field, (b) trail the factory support bikes or (c) don't finish the race. I pick (a) and (c).

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Last Time...

The last time anything with a Harley engine won Daytona....

Cal Rayborn, who won in 1968 and 1969, XR based motor, under the capable race team management of **** O'brien.

If Buell wins, it will be 37 years since a Milwaukie based motor was in the winners circle!

BTW, my vote for the most underated road racer at the time goes to H-D's Mark Brelsford, who did not get the kudos he deserved as a road racer because his pavement work was in the shadow of Rayborn.

(Remember the famous Daytona photo of Brelsford's H-D erupting in flames in his face at speed?)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Word!

Does Vegas have any odds on a Buell win in the 200?

The really tough question is not "if" but "which XBRR team will win the Daytona 200."

Will it be Hal's H-D/Buell with veteran Buell racer Mike Ciccotto?

Or MotoGP and IOM veteran Jeremy McWilliams on the Warrs entry?

What about Steve Crevier that tenacious Canadian fellow riding for Dealy's?

Or could the Germans from Hanover H-D/Buell invade and conquer? With a name like Rico Penzkofer and his endurance experience, he is a serious threat.

Whatever happens, it will be GREAT to see teh Buells competing in the 200.

GO!!!!!! Buell! :D

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Good times... and u know who was there hanging and eating cheese and woulda ridden except for he was injured? Erik Buell. Be nice to see a hands-on guy win the big one after all these years. I have no idea if they are in R6 lap time ballpark but I feel a Buell win would go far to turn around the US malaise and melancholia, restore American manufacturing to its rightful place atop the heap, and possibly turn the tide of the war and show the Arab peoples the worth of democracy, tolerance and good old-fashioned hard work. I shall stock the fridge with a non-domestic brand and hope for the best.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Say your prepositions!

They HAVE been testing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: What If...

I don't know how good he is at pushing a bike rather than riding it. He seems a bit on the skinny side, so my best guess is he would probably either finish in last place or pass out from heat exhaustion..... ??!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
They should add a rule that requires that all bikes finish the race with all parts still attached. But that wouldn't be fair to Buell either. Or maybe that they all have to have the same cc's. Again, not fair to Buell. How about internal mods should be at a minimum? Ooops, not fair to buell again. Maybe the AMA should require all the OTHER riders to carry a 100 lbs backpack on one shoulder during the race. Maybe then it would be a "fair" race.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Say your prepositions!

Well my latest issue of Two Wheel Only has a neat shootout test of both the '05 and '06 R6, plus they put an XB12Ss over a Ducati S2R800. Lawd lawd. Dem limeys.

It's vintage hell for me this Sunday at the Adelanto GP. Should be around 35 degrees when my line takes off at 0730. Brrrrr. Wonder where I can get electric MX gloves?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.