Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two XB's. No problems or downtime with either one of them. Easy maintenance and cheap to run, except they eat tires (probably due to my right hand spasms). Really fun on street or track. Great bikes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Either way you can't go wrong. I prefer the XB but I'd be happy with the SV too.

XB9? Build quality, fit and finish on Buells is excellent & I found mine to be robust and easy to maintain.

SV-650? nuff' said, everybody knows what a great bike that iis.

Plenty of aftermarket for both, the SV is cheaper, the Buell is sexier and uses better quality components for suspension/brakes.

P.S. I don't think an SV-650 is quicker than an XB9

P.P.S. Read JBs comparison article of these two in the MO bike tests section

·
Registered
70 Posts
It must be a sad day when you can't comprehend any aspect of an engine other than displacement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is more character compressed in a single XB than you will find in a whole truckload of SVs.

Then again, I am biased, cranky, and don't give a hoot about resale values.

How about this clipping, written by ol' Burnsie a couple years ago:

If all you want is cheap, go with the SV. If you're like me, you also want a cool motorcycle. Twenty years from now, you'll be able to stand around your lovingly cared-for Buell, which will be somewhat rare, and you can `splain to the kids how it was the first bike to carry its gas in the frame, first with the perimeter front brake, how you and Ann-Margret used to bomb round `Vegas on it. In other words it will still be cool. The Guggenheim might call to borrow it. Meanwhile, you might see the occasional ratty SV650 parked on the street in a shabby neighborhood or over at KPaul's with a plastic milk crate bungeed to the back seat and duct tape covering the holes in the faded seat, smelling of cat urine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The SV might look better on paper, but personally I'd go w/ the Buell. Kind of have the hots for a cityx myself. They don't seem to be holding their value too great, so I may actually have one someday. Fwiw I already have that suzuki 650cc in DL form.. It's a great motor.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Are you serious? Everyone knows that the SV650 is part of the Divine Triumvirate Godhood of Motorcycledom.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Both are great bikes, you can't go wrong with either of them. However, if you can get past the price difference the Buell is the better bike. It offers better suspension, better geometry, better handling, and way more character. I don't know the quarter mile times for both bikes off the top of my head, but I'd be surprised to see the SV650 get it done much quicker than the XB9. We know the XB makes more torque everywhere, and most dynos show it putting out more peak power than the SV. Check out MO's comparison here: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/03_Mini_Nakeds/index.motml

Go ride them both. If you don't see the extra value in the XB, buy the SV.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
LOL Hey where we are moving my wife says we need a Lexus to fit in.. I think I am going to miss you guys back in the hood..

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The SV is one of the cheapest bikes to insure. If you do inner-city commuting I'd go with the XB9s because of low-end torque pull. The clutch is stiffer but when engaged you'll do very little in the way of gear hunting. They're a complete scream in the N. GA mountains, too. That's coming from a guy that goes 250lbs. Don't give me crap because I love food and riding more than working out.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I checked out the venerable SV (and many other makes) when I was in the market for a new bike in 2005. Most didn't seem much different than my old KZ750 in concept (cheap suspension, tires, brakes...).

Then I rode the Buell. And bought an XB9SX the very next day.

It's all waht you want. JB summed it up best when he wrote

"Twenty years from now, you'll be able to stand around your lovingly cared-for Buell, which will be somewhat rare, and you can `splain to the kids how it was the first bike to carry its gas in the frame, first with the perimeter front brake, how you and Ann-Margret used to bomb round `Vegas on it. In other words it will still be cool. The Guggenheim might call to borrow it. Meanwhile, you might see the occasional ratty SV650 parked on the street in a shabby neighborhood or over at KPaul's with a plastic milk crate bungeed to the back seat and duct tape covering the holes in the faded seat, smelling of cat urine. "

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do you find the XB9 to be comfy? I be roughly yer size and have a double-secret get away spot up there where you speak of. And have been pondering getting a #2 bike for short range curvy action and to leave at the Fortress of Solitude.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.