Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Not so fast Crash The real cost of Arab Oil

"First the majority of SUV owners do not "Take five adults, one Saint Bernard, and a hundred pounds of gear on two cross-country trips and regular camping outings. "

There is no possible way you know that KPaul. You are manufacturing facts.

"Second just because someone will buy the oil that we don't doesn't means we should be looking at other ways to haul 5 people and Heidi around."

We may be able to look at other ways, but right now a big vehicle is the way to do it. Like it or not there is a need for big vehicles. SUV's fit the bill. Get over it.

"The real cost of Arab Oil is that it makes us sell out our ideas i.e. we support oppressive monarchies like Saudi Arabia. It's the political cost that makes buying oil from the Arabs expensive. It also makes us venerable to region that is inherently unstable politically. "

Boy this is loaded. One, we have no "ideals" to sell out. America is for itself and only itself and the almighty buck. We aren't for the world good and never have been. We support those who make us money or have a strategic importance. Remember Vietnam? If you really know WHY the mideast is politically unstable, it could be our backing of the butcher Shah of Iran, our arming and then bombing of Saddam and Afghanistan, and our creation of Israel, our CIA political assasinations over many years which created the "instability" in the first place. Monsters are fine with us, as long as they are OUR monsters.

"Just to be clear I am a Republican that happens to think we need to get off our butt and do something about our oil dependence on Arab Oil. And driving around in an SUV is not the way to do it."

Yet it was the Republicans that made sure the SUV makers didn't have to abide by the current emission laws, as to not hurt sales. So I guess if a relative of mine is fighting in the Mideast, I can blame the Republicans like you.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Not so fast Crash The real cost of Arab Oil

First point is whatever study Washington State does has no bearing on the other 49 states. So your assertion is certainly flawed to say the least.

Second, mini vans do not tow boats, cars or anything very well being most are front wheel drive. Also a 4 wheel SUV is better in the snow. So Florida people that tow boats and Wisconsin people can get through the snow. They can also carry as many as a mini van so it's like owning 2 vehicles in one. See how that works? SUV's are not all that different from pickup trucks. Nobody rags on Billy Bob for owning that 40 foot extended cab 4 wheel pickup.

Third, you are seriously misguided if you think that we get involved in wars for any of the above reasons. We do it to protect our lifestyles. How else can one small country on earth use 50% of the resources of said earth? Does that sound like justice for all or justice for us? If you really believe in feeedom, then you would get off the SUV owners and accept their CHOICE of transportation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.