Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent Sean. You shold submit this to the NY Times, LA Times etc OpEd. Of course they may want to tone it down a little. From my experience, all 10,000 miles of riding, the driver I fear the most next to me is short, female, wears glasses and is driving an Expedition. All three of my close calls involve this type of driver (one was driving a Tahoe and the other two were Expeditions.)

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
What this country needs is

another oil crisis. However, it would be nice to see folks see the light and change. We Americans seem to learn best we were are hit over the head with the obvious (like me :) )

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
In Seattle it is different than where you are at sportbikepilot

Where you live you probably don't see many SUVs on the freeway with just one occupant. Here in Seattle SUVs are very popular even though the majority don't go off road, pull a trailer or haul 5 adults. If you don't believe me come to Seattle and go down I-5 during rush hour. What this country needs is a good ole oil embargo or shutdown. Folks would change their tune on SUVs if they had to pay $2.50 a gallon.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Good Rant

Well said. SUVs of the Nineties and 00s are akin to the Ford LTDs and Chevy Impalas of the 70s. You are right all we need is a hickup in the oil supply and folks driving those SUVs will be trading them in like their parents dumped their LTDs and Impalas of old.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
s stupid

u unpatriotic

v vehicle.

Excellent. I totally agree. Here in Seattle I can almost gurantee when I see an SUV cheating in the carpool lane it is a women driving. You are absolutely right there are so many better vechicles than a SUV. Of course the automakes love SUVs because of the high markup.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Hey I don't think you are who Francis is talking about. Francis is talking about the person that drives an SUV who doen't need to. Here in Seattle SUV mania is of epidemic proportions. I grew up in rural Colorado where folks had a car and pickup. Pickup for work car for trips to town etc. Here in Seattle we have folks who never leave the pavement or carry anything driving around in Excursions, Yukons etc. It is obscene.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
You must be kidding. But in the context of the question, manmade pollution, his remark was comical. I loved Ronnie but he was in left field on that one Look I am republican and Reagans energy policy was a joke. We are more dependent on foreign oil than ever. Both parties are to blame. Every President since then has not addressed it. Someday we will pay for our inattention.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Good Rant

I think that a sustained price increase to $2-3 per gallon would start to have an effect. The problem with last summer price increase was it was a spike in prices not a sustained increase.

I don't follow your progressive conspiracy thing. Of course I don't live in live in Utah. :)

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Not so fast Crash The real cost of Arab Oil

First the majority of SUV owners do not "Take five adults, one Saint Bernard, and a hundred pounds of gear on two cross-country trips and regular camping outings. "

Second just because someone will buy the oil that we don't doesn't means we should be looking at other ways to haul 5 people and Heidi around. The real cost of Arab Oil is that it makes us sell out our ideas i.e. we support oppressive monarchies like Saudi Arabia. It's the political cost that makes buying oil from the Arabs expensive. It also makes us venerable to region that is inherently unstable politically. So go ahead and buy your SUV but don't be suprised if a relative of yours ends up in the Middle East fighting for oil some day. Just to be clear I am a Republican that happens to think we need to get off our butt and do something about our oil dependence on Arab Oil. And driving around in an SUV is not the way to do it.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Not so fast Crash The real cost of Arab Oil

[*]First point: First the majority of SUV owners do not "Take five adults, one Saint Bernard, and a hundred pounds of gear on two cross-country trips and regular camping outings. " WSDOT study published in the Seattle times contradict your assertion support mine

[*]Second point: SUV's fit the bill. wrong what is wrong with a Minivan which gets 20-30% more mileage. They also have more usuable space.

[*] Third point America is for itself and only itself and the almighty buck. Speak for yourself. America is for equality, freedom, liberty and justice for all

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
OK city boy and why this SUV rant doesn't relate to Chicago

I grew up in the Colorado mountains near Steamboat Springs the ski area. Snow starts in October ends in May. Let me correct your assertions

Also a 4 wheel SUV is better in the snow.

False. big time. The minvans lower center of gravity is much better on icy snow packed roads. The only place were you need four wheel drive is in deep unplowed snow. MOst of the guys in the ditch coming back from Vail (Colorado) or Crystal Mountain (WA) are SUV guys going to fast can't stop[/i] A minvan with frontwheel drive is better for most people. They also make AWD minivans.

Since you are isolated in Chicago which has a wealth of public transit this whole SUV rant is probably not big on your list. On the west coast where most folks have to commute by freeway, you see freeways clogged with these things. In LA and Seattle because we have bad transportation systems you see folks with one occupant driving a huge SUV in bumper to bumper traffic. Thus the rant. I think you midwest guys just can relate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.