Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
The very same (mostly) free market that produced the plentitude of wonderful motorcycles we all love also produced the SUV. Yeah, most folks who own them don't NEED them in a practical sense. Well, we don't NEED motorcycles either. The market responds to the wants of consumers as well as the needs (food, shelter, etc). Just take a look at the historical examples of societies where needs took precedence over wants. I very much doubt anyone would perfer a Trabant over an

Explorer or an IMZ over any modern m/c made in the West. Crying out for someone to do something about products you don't like is kind of strange since very few non-riders have any affection for any kind of motorcycle. The very Greens and anti-development folks who are the most upset over SUVs are the same people who've blocked the solution to the problem: more roads. Our miles of roads built don't even come close, in proportion, to the increase in vehicles using them. However it is very ironic that the government regulation - and changing tastes - that killed the market for full-size automobiles drove the increase in SUV popularity. The average Explorer IS bigger than say a 69 Impala. Personally, I like the Impala : )

· Registered
6 Posts
So that'sthe way this works? I never accused any anti-SUVers of wanting to outlaw SUVs. So you answered an arguement I didn't make in order to ridicule my statements. Hmmm.

Also, how many $25-40,000 decisions do you make based on advertising? This dual assumption that the auto industry is both stupid for producing lousy vehicles and diabolicly clever enough to trick people into buying them is way more simplified than my generalizations about the free market system.

Lastly, how about some names and e-mails of these legions of brand-new sedan drivers you so artfully educated? Aint the Internet a grand thing for anonymous flights of fancy?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.