Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got to agree, you're right. As a contractor you need one of those big mammas. I have no grief with you, a pickup for a contractor is a business vehicle. But I doubt 10% of the gas-suckers are driven by people who need them for their business. So maybe we should get rid of 90% of the SUVs. Then again there's the point that we get only 17% of our oil from Saudi Arabia. If we stopped importing from the nations that fund terrorism, intentionally or unintentionally, we'd still have plenty to run our bikes and fuel efficient cars, as well as the SUVs that are needed for work.

Vlad

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Exhaust gas emissions

Jon:

I think you're missing a step in your calculations. The PID measures ppm (parts per million), which means that a 4600cc Cadillac and an 800cc vfr are held to the same percentage of hc emissions. However, since the vfr puts out 4/23 as much exhaust gas volume as the Cadillac, then the same PID reading for HC gases, taken at the same RPM would mean that the Cadillac would be putting out 23/4 times as much of the pollutant as the bike, if we were measuring the pollutant in absolute terms, not in percentage of the exhaust volume. The absolute figure is important, because it's the number of tons of crap in the air that determines the quality of the atmosphere.

Am I wrong?

Vlad

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Talk show caller

Gee, Lt. Cmdr, what a shining sack of vitriol you have offered me. Unfortunately, it appears that you were the one with the wrong facts, not me. As for options to tow that boat and family, try an suv that gets good gas mileage, like a Subaru Outback Sport. We own one, and it does just fine on dirt roads, even on what are excuses for roads. And it gets 28 miles per gallon. And it can tow a boat.

No, I don't claim to write as well as Johnny B., but I am neither stupid nor misinformed. In fact, Arianna Huffington wrote a rather superb article on the same subject that I found out about after I made my little post. But you probably think she's a "dumb broad." Here's the link: http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=13960.

My article was intentionally a rant, though I accept the fact that hyperbolic sarcasm goes over your head. And I confess, my intention was to motivate others. And for the manliness comments, I was moved to them by the TV commercials that we see that imply you will be a man if you have a big SUV. These commercials are filled with images of cowboys, construction workers, and horses. You see, I did once work for a large, multinational advertising agency. They actually do think about what will motivate people to buy these oversized tanks. And they do nothing without research. The commercials for the Chevy SUVs are a good example. Obviously, the appeal to "manliness" works in the marketplace, even if it doesn't work on you.

You see, the point I was trying to make is simple. If we cut our oil imports by just a few percentage points, we wouldn't have to buy oil from countries whose citizens put the World Trade Center or the Pentagon on their flight plans. I really don't expect you to like me, but do you like financing terrorism?

Vlad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.