Motorcycle Forums banner

Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

42K views 267 replies 66 participants last post by  BrineUSAF 
#1 ·
Re: Buy a Harleyand Lose Your Job

Ummmmmmm......huh?

#4 ·
"Murrican" carmakers are notorious for this sort of nonsense.

Being an ATL native, yup Coke can get pretty huffy with 'ee's re Pepsi products.

I'll bet that Mich Harley fan will be better off at the next workplace.

I think the real moral of this story lies a bit deeper: never, never, NEVER place too much faith in any employer. Live within your means and keep "go to hell" money in the bank. When that unethical or just plain stupid stuff comes you way, your bank account frees to to say: "go to ....!!"

Legislation? No way! Punish stupid mgrs and business owners yourself early & often

#7 ·
I don't agree with my boss most of the time. However, every two weeks I get a check and I look at the signature - yep it's his. I see it like this: He pays me to be smarter than me for about 8h a day.

The only problem is he is rich and I am not-so-rich. And you know what they say:

1. If you are so smart, why are you so poor?

#8 ·
I agree. If this sort of thing upsets you, don't do business with companies that practice this childish behavior. Unfortunately, most people don't care until it's their ass that gets canned for doing it. And this isn't an excuse, but it sounds kinda like the guy was daring his boss to fire him. At least he has a great story and is now practically a hero, especially to Harley. I think he probably could get hired at a Harley dealer just because of his actions. And I'm sure most of us have wished that we could be so blatantly rebellious towards our employer at one time or another.

#9 ·
Seems like a wrongful termination lawsuit is in order here. This is America the guy should be able to buy whatever he wants as long as he does his job... ooops I forgot W is the president now all worker rights have been terminated...W along with his MBA buddies who have never worked at honest job and couldn't turn a wrench if their life depended on it will decide your fate....my mistake... Better sell the Harley and beg for your job back. Maybe you wife can clean the sales managers house or some other favor .... Remember you have no rights and all lawsuit damages have been capped anyway....

#10 ·
On one hand, it should be the Great American Way for you to employ and keep only those that you want, for whatever reason.

On the other hand, the boss is a d**khead...I agree with keeping a reserve of "go to hell" money stashed in case you gotta walk. I am working on that right now...

#11 ·
Na you got it all wrong. Sounds like the mechanic was fired for not being a Beta male. i.e. he should of asked his boss in typical Red-State fashion what kind of bike he should buy, who should he vote for, etc...Remember in Ws world workers are the servants of the business owners(Lords)... Yep we don't need unions naaa....W knows what is best for us..

#12 ·
"On one hand, it should be the Great American Way for you to employ and keep only those that you want, for whatever reason." Right...a guy goes to work every day does his job.. boss finds out he is gay or is a jehovah witnesss or scientologist or loves anchovies on his pizza and fires him... Yep thats the America I want to live in...

#13 ·
So this is what our country has come to.I am not a fan of harleys[love buells though],but last time I checked this was America,right?Next thing you know, we will be laying down prayer rugs and praying to mecca.No offense to muslim riding fellows ,just making a point.Sounds like he has a good case for affirmative action,bike discrimination.Although I just wonder,if he gets his job back ,will he be greeted by hood and sheets folks with the tuning fork emblem on their tunics,telling him"your kind ain,t welcome in these here parts"!

#15 ·
It's not early for me. Us red staters are up at the crack of dawn working our butts off, paying taxes and planning to oppress minorities while every single blue stater in the country is laying in bed with a crack *****, smoking dope and waiting to get a welfare check!

Hmmmmmm. On second thought I think I'll move back to a blue state!

#16 ·
I guess this is my first post on the boards. It's a shame it's just because I got annoyed enough by all the political things that are brought up by some of the people on, well, many of the political sides (conservative, liberal, moderate, etc.) that it distracts from the story and get frustrating sifting through it all.

May I ask why eveything in these times must be related somehow to politics? In my opinion his boss was a jerk and that has nothing to do with whether he's a liberal or conservative, or anyone in the government.

Motorcycles are machines and not exactly a red-state/blue-state thing or a "W's in the White House issue". My opinion: If you want to discuss politics (unless the story here is based on politics .. helmet laws, weird laws that target motorcyclists, etc.) do it somewhere where people are looking to discuss them..

It'd be nice if we could stick to the topic of the psychotic boss that's the real problem and cause of the story, not Bush or Kerry or anyone else.

Once again, I'm sorry that this had to be my first post here, and if you don't agree with what I'm saying here, fine.

I just think it'd be easier for people that are here to read about motorcycles and things that happen with them and not about completely unrelated topics such as who voted on whether or not to have mashed potatos or tater tots as the standard vegetable group for monday lunches in the Milwaukee County School district or whatever.

Let's all have a happy day of arguing and complaining. :)

#18 ·
I'm surprised folks are worked up about this. This site often has comments about keeping the government out of our lives from people on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. Now, however, many of us want the government to regulate this relationship. As a few folks have mentioned in this discussion, if you don't want to adhere to other people's regulations, have a stash of "go to hell" money or open your own company. And, rest assured, no one can be lawfully terminated based on religion, sex, race, disability, or (in some jurisdictions) sexual orientation--various laws address those situations.

#21 ·
99.9% percent of the people here realize the political BS has no place in almost every discussion on this site.

However, in our "open mind" society, we can't condemn the member(s) that can't come up with constructive motorcycle related thoughts.

Hang around, I think you will enjoy the show and find otherwise, intelligent motorcycle info. between the tears of abuse.

#23 ·
No, but fire a guy for not showing up or not being able to do his job, and he has a new income from unemployment.

I've been through it 3 times, if the employee does not show "gross misconduct with malicious intent" the employer has no right to fire them.

#24 ·
This is a surprise? I am pretty sure this goes on all the time. I read of a case were a guy was fired for drinking Coors when he worked for Budweiser, or something similar.

Whether or not the firee has grounds for a lawsuit is the question.

#26 ·
I know someone that bought an Aprillia while working at a BMW dealership. The boss was not too happy.

I don't think being fired is in order, but as a boss you would be disappointed if an employee purchased a competitors product while working for you, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.