Or, it's the definition of having an empirically or experientially correct belief. Do you arbitrarily change your beliefs just for the hell of it?
Empirically correct belief? Whatever. Conservative means traditional and traditional isn't always correct or empirically proveable. An extreme example is the Flat Earth Society: extremely conservative, extremely traditional and extremely wrong.
In the definition below, note my highlights ...
con·ser·va·tive: Pronunciation Key (kn-sûrv-tv)
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.
1. Of or relating to the political philosophy of conservatism.
2. Belonging to a conservative party, group, or movement.
5. Conservative Of or belonging to the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
6. Conservative Of or adhering to Conservative Judaism.
7. Tending to conserve; preservative: the conservative use of natural resources.