Motorcycle Forums banner
241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Thanks for the rude awakening Steve (i'll shut up now)

So your twisted definition of 'tyranny' would include employees quitting without the employers consent? Obviously in your f&cked up mind, it would.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
"Those smart fellas use campaigns of 'creative disinformation' to manipulate the undereducated and prejudiced hicks into voting their way."

Just wondering which political party you are referring to. Sounds like any of 'em.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Need to research before you talk

No one is allowed to escape Utopia. Especially you. Remember the late and unlamented Soviet Union? You'd think these guys would get a clue eventually.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Are you that self unaware?

Oh, I'm not upset. In fact, I'm giggling as I write this.

Your circular logic is very funny. You can't inject the the terms "liberal" and "conservative" into a debate that has taken a very political turn (why, I'm not sure) and expect people to think that you're talking about anything else but ideology.

And you've got something else wrong: Words can have many different connotations but not contexts. Their exact meaning is inferred by the context within which they are used. The words in question themselves do not determine context. I think the context and subtext here is pretty clear.

Putting your example into "binary" as you choose to term it does nothing but create two generalizatoins. Notice how the extreme "binary" of a liberal is wholly good and the extreme "binary" of a conservative is wholly evil.

Who are you trying to fool? Binary examples do nothing to explain real people and the real world. It's just a slanted exagerration of two groups from your perspective.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Protesters appear

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1122718549179950.xml&coll=8

The usual contingent of Harely guys. And to throw a monkey wrench into the political angle, a guy who is essentially a labor organizer. That's union talk.

The local Harley dealer is a joke, and it's a pathetic place on the scale of things nowdays with the various Harely shrines and megamalls. Harley hates him and are trying to force him out on the old scamming pre orders thing. A sale was pending a few months ago, not sure it happened.

This guy will be able to get a job wrenching in some Harely shop I am sure.

Muskegon MI has been in recession since 1973. It does have nice beaches. World Class. 30 days a year the water is warm enough to take a swim.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a big ration of crap when I bought a used Ducati 900SS while working in a Harley-Davidson Sales Department. The Duc was $7500, and even our cheapest Buell was some $2k north of that (and remember what Buells were like in '98...). Didn't get fired, but the subject got thrown at me again in the exit interview a few months later.

Now I own a Honda Suzuki & Kawasaki dealership, and don't give a rat's ass that some of my guys & girls ride Yamahas - to me, what matters most is that they're on a bike, any bike, and can communicate their enthusiasm to our customers. I must be a liberal, judging from the posts above.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here here.

I imagine this doesnt come up too often at Harely shops because of the self selection that goes with being a Harley person. Included in that must be tremendous social pressure. Even if a wayward HD person has a secret perverted lust of another brand they are likely to keep it secret.

Few groups I can think of are more conformist than those freedom loving 1%'ers.

Usually the HD crowd will tolerate a Duc, to a degree. If you pulled up on a GSXR they would have gone totally nuts.

So it goes.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
I think that your opinions are "emotional violence". Therefore I should be able to enlist the State to shut you up. Or shut up anyone whose opinions are "dangerous".

Where does it end?

"Economic violence". What an open-ended excuse for totalitarianism.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Libertarians are too cheap to ever get anywhere. They also abhor collectivism which ensures they can never compete with the two great sheeple parties.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What is so hard to understand about this? Small "l" liberal means "open-minded". Big "L" Liberal means 'supports the political philosophy of Liberalism'. The two aren't the same thing and you consistently confuse the two.

Check any dictionary and there will be several definitions of a given word. Which a person means depends on the context it is used in and the usage within the sentence. To help straighten out confusion, it is common usage to capitalize the "L" when you are speaking about the political philosophy.

Go back, read my posts, and insert 'open-minded' where ever you see liberal and insert 'close-minded' where ever you see conservative. If I could edit my posts after the fact, I would have done it already.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Re: Thanks for the rude awakening Steve (i'll shut up now)

Not really. Tyranny assumes a difference in relative power between the two parties. A dictator, a supervisor, etc. all have a power advantage over the people beneath them. It is the abuse of this power that makes them a tyrant.

What you are describing in this post is 'rebellion'. ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can ignore my words any time you want. Walk away, ride your bike, turn on the iPod - instantly I go away and so no injury is done. Hurt feelings don't count.

An employee can't ignore that his income instantly vapourized and that his boss is the one that took it away. If you have a good reason to take away someone's income, then I'm all for it. If you don't, then give him notice you are letting him go so he can find another job. If you want him gone right away, pay him a couple of months income as a severance package so he has something to live on while looking. Most homes are a couple of paycheques from being homeless, so firing does real damage and it should be reserved for the people who deserve it.

That's what happens in Canada - and even if you want to fire someone, you have to show a paper trail that you have tried to discipline the person without improvement. New employees (<3 mos.) are exempt and can be fired without reason.

To me, that is a much better compromise between worker and employer rights than this 'employment at will' stuff.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.