Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Avoid thin, pale people in black clothes with bad teeth unless you're in England."

Gabe, that is just plain mean...(But very very funny!)

Seriously though, great article. Sean did good when he hired you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hate Mail

For some reason, the hate mail I recieve usually tends to homophobia. I don't know why. Maybe it's my delicate features.

I've only briefly been to Alabama, and it seemed like a very nice state. Aside from being hot, humid and full of bugs, it had lots of fried food and everyone I met was very nice.

Please don't beat me up.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Good job Gabe. As someone who has bought and resurrected/gave-up-on a passel of used bikes over the years I have to say that this is the most comprehensive advice I've seen.

I'd say that someone who can not do their own major repairs should stay away from bikes more than a few years old.

And Gabe is spot on about being careful that any bike you buy has a good tranny. A 6speed bike has about 12 gears in the tranny and each can cost $100-200 or more. Never mind all the special tools you may need to split the cases.

The only thing I would add is that you can check the bike's actual value at the NADA website. It's the NADA value that the bank or credit union uses to loan money. Kelly Blue Book is much higher and is the value a dealer usually uses to sell a vehicle. Since private parties don't offer financing don't ever fall for the KBB value. Anyhow, that's worked for me. I've simply brought a printout of the NADA value when horsetrading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The banjo comment was funny... But I emitted an even more rediculous kackle from the comparison to the wine snobs at Olive Garden... I hope I didnt wake up my neighbors... Maybe they're still at Olive Garden? Maybe I shoulda stopped after that bottle of boons farms, as I think the box of Franzia is making things funnier than they appear? Nah, that was damn funny.... Thank you for writing it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Really awesome article !! I am thinking about adding another bike to my stable, this was very timely. For those of us with insominia from time to time it's a great read. Not what I need to put me to sleep but heck I'll take tomorrow off. Now get Ashley to fix the link on the Products Review Page to your aerostich review please. I trying to decide to spend the 700 bucks to buy one and start commuting on my bike again.

Seriously Gabe your stuff is first class...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
So Gabe took a bit of a swipe at Alabammy. I have a brother that lives there, so I get down there now and again. Even saw a damn NASCAR race there. Dern near makes me an honorary hillbilly! After reading his jab, I went through the roof! I am certain that I can send Gabe much better homophobic hate mail, and I will have RonXX personally check the spelling too! So there Gabe! Seriously, it was a good article on buying a used bike, and had some good humor. How about an article on selling a used bike in the future? I enjoyed reading this one a lot. Keep up the good work and I might change the mail to just homophobic stuff, but I'll leave the hate out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Gabe, I really enjoyed your article. Good info, good humor and just the right amount of sarcasm. Perfect.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah I guess it was a good article since Im not from bama and I hat The tide. I have an Idea for another article though why don't you guys get one of those salvage bikes and do a writeup on what all you had to do to make it right and the costs and what not that would be very interesting. P.S. I am not talking about one of those repli-racers I am talking real world beemer triumph or honda. Thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.