Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

"Martinez likes the free maintenance program. His Kawasaki Police 1000 motorbike has cost taxpayers $13,000 in repairs over the last two years, he said."

What? Does he crash it every other year?

-- Michael

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

Good deal, Harleys always did make good police bikes because of the way they're laid out, low and slow. The vast majority of police M/C work is no where near high speed so the hi performance deficit doesn't really come into play, and the platform is well balanced to tack on all their crap.

Even if they were paying for maintainance the Harley would still be miles cheaper because they're so easy to work on, for example police work is hard on clutch's, a harley clutch can be changed in a hour if you take your time, a BMW clutch is a 3 or 4 hour pain in the butt and a known weak point, plus R1150RT wiring harness issues, drive shaft failures and crappy EFI maps.

I've ridden my bro's Dyna Defender a few times and I owned an FLHP for 5 or 6 years and I can tell you, you won't find a more comfortable set-up than the older spring post seats and floorboards. From a marketing point of veiw, it's a slam-dunk for Harley. Tons of free advertising, and after a year of leasing them to the fuzz, they have a very desirable "police special" that they can sell for new prices.

Them boyz got a nose for money that just won't quit. LOL

·
Registered
235 Posts

"It's kind of like going from a Toyota pickup truck to a Cadillac,'

I'll take a Toyota pickup over a cadillac any day of the week. Saw a new 05 Tacoma today (drool).

Why don't they get some st1300s?

Actually I'm glad traffic cops prefer Hardleys they're easier to lose that way.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts

I think the most interesting point is that the police Geezer Glides are offered with ABS. Hopefully that will trickle down to the consumer versions.

I'd retrofit mine if it's offered.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Mostly, it's turning radius why city Cops opt for Harleys vs. the BMW. Ask the CHP.

Also, Kaws overheat when stuck in traffic.

Lastly, from someone who breaks in Harleys for a rental palce, all Harleys have are anti-lock brakes, 'cause they don't work that well in the first place.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

One of my dirt bike buddies is a CHP motor officer. A few months ago, over several pitchers of beer at Murphy's (in El Mirage), he lamented about the rotten turning radius the big beemers have versus the kawi. Not that the CHP has to make any quick u-turns much, but he noticed it just the same.

Also, it seems those old 'sakis were darn near indestructible to boot. Don't know where this article is getting its maintenance cost figures.

You're right about the Harley layout. Low and slow. The main reason some police forces (read that the LAPD) got rid of HD's way back when was because of reliability problems, and the lack of acceleration. Not that Moto Guzzi was any better. Now, with the semi-modern Harley configuration and the resulting reliability, HD may be a force in the city-bike cop squad again.

Just don't expect them to be successfully running down any new GTOs on the freeway. Leave that to the Kawasakis and BMWs.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Too bad they don't use dirigibles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How many 100,000 mile Harleys have you seen?

Cause I haven't seen any. Now 100,000 Beemers are not exactly a dime a dozen, but you can find a good selection at every biker meet. Those Beemers have some of the oldest engine designs out there, and they are very sorted out. The body work is second to none - I've heard a couple of owners compare them to aircraft spec. Not like that Harley I saw one time on the way to Markus Dairy a couple of summers ago - the guy almost wrecked all over I-84 when his rear tire ran over some bits from the bottom of his engine (which I barely managed to avoid, although I was like 2 lanes over).

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: How many 100,000 mile Harleys have you seen?

It could be too because Kawasaki has quit producing the police model in 2004.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Here's a cut from a California law enforcement bike site regarding the retiring Kawasakis:

"Now that Kawasaki is not competing in the police motorcycle market, police departments can expect to dig deeper into their pockets to purchase other models, this could also be the end of many traffic department motorcycles because of initial motorcycle cost's.

BMW entered the market on a give away program, whereas Kawasaki Police 1000 was a modest priced police motorcycle that to some may have been low tech but to most the Kawasaki Police 1000 was reasonably priced and it gave its value through reliable, dependable service. When Kawasaki entered the police market in 1975 their goal was to market the motorcycle with law enforcement so the Kawasaki motorcycle would be seen on city streets, and over the years the Kawasaki Police 1000 proved itself to be a thoroughbred.

With wonderful people such as Henry Schnittker ( kawasaki's first Police Sales Manager) Bill Zito ( Kawasaki's police technical guy) the Kawasaki Police 1000 reached its peak in the late 90's. Our hats are off to you guys and KMC for providing us over the years with not only super people to work with, but a smart looking, economical, dependable Kawasaki Police 1000. Like the "C" models, the "P" models will continue to live on with collectors.

Thank you Kawasaki, it was a great run."

·
Registered
373 Posts
Whatever It Takes

I just feel that the cops should be happy with whatever they choose to ride as they put their lives on the line in more ways than one by riding motor. All they need do now is add heated grips as the cops who have ridden BMW's seem to like that feature best. Harley's do make the best looking cop bikes.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Hell, you'd probably retro fit a heater and air-conditioning too, Buz! Just fit that bushel basket on the back to catch the parts that fall off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How much does a de-comissioned bike sell for?

A leasing Co. is buying the bike, are they also paying the maintence costs?

After a year, I bet they're selling them for more than they paid for them, which is why they would have only a year of service life.

I wish I was born at a time when a clapped-out HD police bike could have been bought "on the cheap" it's probably "extra fashionable" to ride an HD police bike today.

·
Registered
911 Posts

It is the anti-lock brakes says Mr. Bob Laidlaw.

"You can grab this front brake as hard as you can hit the HANDLE and the wheel will not lock up" So what's new? You could never lock up the front wheel on a Harley, what with the most wooden and inneficient brakes in the industry, but they don't need no stinkin front brakes anyway, right? You go right over the HANDLES if you use the front brakes, they are pig, or should I say, hog slow anyhow, so who needs brakes! :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts