Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

Good deal, Harleys always did make good police bikes because of the way they're laid out, low and slow. The vast majority of police M/C work is no where near high speed so the hi performance deficit doesn't really come into play, and the platform is well balanced to tack on all their crap.

Even if they were paying for maintainance the Harley would still be miles cheaper because they're so easy to work on, for example police work is hard on clutch's, a harley clutch can be changed in a hour if you take your time, a BMW clutch is a 3 or 4 hour pain in the butt and a known weak point, plus R1150RT wiring harness issues, drive shaft failures and crappy EFI maps.

I've ridden my bro's Dyna Defender a few times and I owned an FLHP for 5 or 6 years and I can tell you, you won't find a more comfortable set-up than the older spring post seats and floorboards. From a marketing point of veiw, it's a slam-dunk for Harley. Tons of free advertising, and after a year of leasing them to the fuzz, they have a very desirable "police special" that they can sell for new prices.

Them boyz got a nose for money that just won't quit. LOL

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: How much does a de-comissioned bike sell for?

That's how I got my 1980 FLHP, a local dealer bought 15 of them at a WSP auction and sold them for $4500. each

Mine had 12k miles on it in stylish Birch white, it had a few scuffs here and there, other than that it was in great shape. I kept it bone stock and sold it with almost 80k miles on it with nothing more than a front exhaust valve and a points conversion, plus regular maintainance

It was pretty gutless, as it was the last year of the 74's but it was reliable as a brick, and got almost 50mpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts