Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am fortunate enough to be a motor cop and we've used Yamahas, Kawasakis, and Harleys. The Yamahas were ok but drove like large boat anchors. You could buy a Kawasaki for $8000 and in four years you would have $10-14,000 worth of maintenance into each bike (we had seven), which our deptartment put up with for eight years. The last four years we have had HD Road Kings that are bullet proof reliable, almost as manuverable as the KZ 1000, yes they do have a high CDI factor, and people like to admire them when they are around town. I think HD came out with ABS due to BMW and Honda having it but neither of those two companies can match HD's $ value. I have ridden a new Electraglide with the new ABS and it works remarkably well. The bikes are plenty fast for all uses but if you think you want to outrun one, remember you can't outrun the radio on it. You can usually get a good deal on a used one, we sold ours on the internet for slightly over $10,000, and you should be happy with it. I wouldn't buy a used KZ 1000 though due to all the problems we have experienced, and we usually only got $2000 or less for those at auction.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can't beat a Road King for price or performance. If you drop it for some reason it will scuff the crash bars slightly. Drop a Goldwing standing still & the plastic costs big $. I heard Kawasaki was trying to make a police model from the Drifter series but it wouldn't handle right & they gave up on it. Indian as supposed to be coming out with a police model (other than the terminator movie one) but thats in the crapper now. I have heard Triumph is trying as well. I would like to see a Sprint ST with ABS and all decked out in full 5-0 equipment though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts