Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, why not give an organ or two to society in order to pay for the outrageous unpaid medical bills it pays for those knuckle heads with 10 to 20 thousand dollars for a motorcycle but no money for medical insurance? Sounds more than fair to me!

...BTW if your gonna ride without a helmet you'll not be needing your organs very much longer anyway.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't see the point in not wearing a helmet. The only time I don't wear a seatbelt in my car is when I am moving it 100 feet or so. Sure a helmet can be uncomfortable when it is really hot, but I don't think a little bit of comfort is worth the risk of needing someone to change your bedpan for the rest of your life.

Forcing people to donate their organs is something that should never happen. Sure, it's great that more people in need would be helped, but that isn't something that the government should be sticking its nose into. Enough rights of individuals (and states) are infringed upon already.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Sad day

Western States Representative Nick Haris. "We encourage California motorcyclists to support the amended AB-1200." Right now you have the right to kill yourself. Oh yeah that is really something to be proud of. Yep that is why I pay dues to the AMA so they can go around a let aging baby boomers kill themselves by being idiots. Baby boomers the worst generation. Hopefully GenYs can be more like their grandparents (the greatest generation).

Grow up Baby Boomers. Wear a full face helmet

Your pal

GenX helmet wearing jerk

KPaul

·
Registered
216 Posts
How about a preference to those that are organ donors, when they are in need of one. Seriously, who gives a flying fvck what they do with your body after you are done with it. Wear a helmet or don't, drive a motorcycle or don't, but for Christ's sake be an organ donor.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Remember the part in THE MEANING OF LIFE where they come around for the guy's liver but he's still using it? I say we introduce a bill to do that to them Hog riders with the really obnoxious loud exhausts.

But seriously, yea, why the outrage? It's all about compromises. If you want to ride without a helmet, it seems like a small price to pay to give up your organs when you're done with `em.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I wonder how many people who support the idea of forced organ donation also like to call the people who prefer to be left alone fascists. Donate your own organs and leave me alone.

I mean, all arguing about the pros and cons of organ doning aside, if you don't own your own organs, what the heck do you own? What's to stop some politician from taking your car because you are too irresponsible to wear a seatbelt? Heck, riding motorcycles at all is irresponsible, right? It's not much of a stretch to go from banning the dangerous activity of riding without a helmet to banning riding altogether. In case you didn't notice New Jersey Sen. Corzine wants to ban "distracting activities" while driving. These include using a cell phone, applying make-up, eating, changing a CD and even sillier ideas. There is no limit to the lengths these do-gooders will go if pursuit of their safety jihad.

If the govt can just come in and take your body against your wishes, what's to stop them from taking anything? Answer: nothing.

Oh look, the govt already takes everything without cause. Just look at all the innocent people caught up in illegal seizures based on overblown Drug War or RICO criteria. The law says that criminals can't profit from their activities. So the govt comes in a steals some grandmother's house because, unbeknownst to her, her grandson sold a lid of weed on her porch to a narc. We call this justice?

And people want to give the govt a direct hook into their organs? This is only the tip of the iceberg.

"Pass me another margarita and turn on the Speed Channel, Martha. We can't be bothered with mundane issues of freedom. Only them irresponsible types would refuse to donate organs so I say just take 'em from 'em anyhow. "

·
Registered
173 Posts
Personally I think riding without a helmet is not very wise. It's not always the rider who controls the accident.

The AMA can't seem to get it together for anything except helmet laws - and that's why I choose not to belong. How about graduated licenses so that people have to be competent riders before they get on a performance machine. It works in other contrues why not here?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Sad day

I'm a baby boomer and I always wear a full face helmet and protective gear. Some of us realize that we're not invincible. I also don't believe in loud pipes - except on the race track where they belong. Let's not give Joe Average any more reasons to be pissed off at riders.

Helmet wearing (or not wearing) seems to cut across all sprectra of society.

Just my $.02

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent Point

"The AMA can't seem to get it together for anything except helmet laws - and that's why I choose not to belong" You would think they could promote safety, motorcycle as solution to traffic congestion, pollution etc. But no the AMA burns up political captial on opposing helmet laws that save lives.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can't be serious. That kind of thinking will lead to a really crappy country. It is clear to anyone that the governments of our various sub-divisions of land already impose illegal rules upon the citizens. Allowing laws to be enacted based on them initially making intuitive sense alone is a serious mistake. Remember : 'You give 'em an inch, they take a mile'.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
What a joke

"Freedom is never about compromises." What the hell does that mean.? With Freedom comes responsibility and riding without helmet is not a right it is a privilege in Illinois Just like driving. With privileges comes responsibilities, to me you are irresponsible to drive a motorcycle at 60mph without protective gear. Irresponsible to yourself, your family and to your employer (who probably pays your medical insurance) . You of all people, being an ex-firefighter, should be aware of what can happen when you wreck. I suspect if your would of been an EMT you would have a different opinion.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ah the old "Slippery Slope" argument, a classic. Give em an inch an they'll take a mile. (Usually what happens is they take their inch and wander off to the next display.) Welcome now to the real world. If you wanted the no-helmet law to pass in California, could you think of a better ad campaign than by telling the public Fresh Organs are part of the deal? Again, what plan do you have for your organs after you're dead? Basically you get something for nothing. I guess you hafta get past that freedom propaganda first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.