41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Thanks for the tips..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Other than a couple of the DJI 30 stocks, the market is doing just fine, actually. You won't hear about it from sensationalistic news broadcasts (politically tilted, IMO whether on the telly or the radio...maybe try NPR, or the WSJ). Tech stocks have been leading a new rise (not boom, but solid growth) in the NASDAQ, and beacause the irrational housing market is finally slowing down, the bond market is screaming hot (realtive to bonds, mind you).

Unfortunately, most people in this country make their determination of the health of the economy according to a) which political party they affiliate with, and b) which political party is currently in power.

If KP has had the bulk of his money in an index fund or an index-tracking share like PPP, SPDR or QQQ, he'd be doing fine for the last 2-3 years. Even tax-free bond funds are doing uncharacteristically good, and they are technically equities, too.

As to the original question KPaul had, I can address the insurance portion.

I started with a Sporty 883 and Eaglemark Insurance (the H-D brand). I kept H-D insurance when I got my Road King, and kept it again when I got my 1150GS (RIP). No one could get me better rates.

It's noteworthy that H-D doesnt actually sell insurance (to the best of my knowledge). they act as your agent, and like any "gypsy" agent, they just call around to all the insurance providers with your profile, and buy you the cheapest insurance for the coverage you want and the bike a driving record you have. here's the thing, H-D has a huge buying pool of customers, so they can negotiate lower rates for the same policy than most local agents can. Now I'm only speaking here from personal experience. A buddy of mine got a day job working for a local auto-ins. outfit, and they wanted to break into bikes. H-D had me going through Dairyland. This local guy offered me the same exact policy that I already had from Dairyland, but it was almost $200/year more expensive. I stayed with Harley.

The thing with State Farm is that the more stuff you have insured through them, the cheaper it all is. My ex had her car, renters', jewelery, life, health and CBR929 through State Farm, and her bike was only like $130/year for a thoroughly comprehensive policy including Uninsured Motorist, and extra health coverage, et cetera. But State FArm basically owned her soul.

I'll say something else for H-D insurance. They always pick up the phone, and always fairly promptly. And there is the convenience of one-stop shopping at the stealership. Also, you can get a good, bike-specific roadside assisstance policy through HOG (and presumably BRAG these days). The ONE time my bike broke down (the Beemer, btw, not the Harleys) AAA wouldn't touch me, but my HOG membership happened to still be active, and they sent someone within the hour. Proper flatbed, soft tie-downs, the works.

The first bike I rode after passing my MSF beginning rider's course was a White Lightning. I felt so bad-ass on that thing. But at the time, it was way too rich for my blood. Then I made some less-than-steller purchases. Then I got scared off by their reliability rep. But now the new models have been out for a few years, and reports are good. I lust. Yeah a Speed III would be cool, but 120hp sounds a bit overkill on a naked streetbike.

Anywho, good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I second the recommendation for Downtown H-D. I got my CityX after demo riding the entire line last year from them. They are great to deal with and if you are really sincere, the best for service. I have a deposit down for the 2007 XB12R midnight black, trading in my 2004 GXSR1000 and 2005 XB9SX CityX for it. I can't wait!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not that I really believe you're going to get one...

For the kind of mileage you probably do in a year(2000-2500 miles? less?), you don't need to worry about reliability ,maintenance or tires.

Obviously it's a great bike by most of the comments above, but I rode one and wasn't that enthusiastic (I think the GSX-R750 is more comfortable than the XB-12R). As you mentioned, Buell is one of those rare bikes you can test ride, so take advantage.

If your mind is set and the bike fits you'll definitely enjoy owning it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What he said. About the tires I get to cord on the rear in about 3 to 4K miles. I am blessed with a fair number of sparsely populated roads with many curves between my house and work. I also have little in the way of self control. I just did a trackday sort of thing and I can finally see the allure of a GSXR but I still haven't found the limits of the X1 so I can't see where another 20 to 50 horsepower is going to help in any meaningful way.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
It ranks 100+. Isn't every bike you want or own the best ever?

I'm starting the Fenton Prediction Poll (FPP) I predict the Kawi gets sold, a used bike comes along and he justifies the purchase by contributing the savings to the college fund. They there is always the option of keeping the ZX due to the fact it's worth $2950 and it is "still in it's prime."

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Where you been? Monarch Honda in Salt Lake is selling a '95 Shadow 1100 for $4999. Nada says its worth $2950!

If you've got any old ricers laying around now's the time to let them go. Kook could probably get a grand over retail for his mint condition barely used only ridden on Sunday Kwacker.

Maybe I can get $1500 for my ratty '84 Magna.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't doubt that Chandler got the award and is probably an excellent dealer. However, since Kpaul lives in the Seattle area, this may be the best choice for a local dealer. If you want the very best deals, Call Dave S. in Appleton, WI! He is the nicest, hardest working guy, and gives discounts to Badweb'ers (Buell web site)!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Over on the Badweather forum they have been complaining that the XB12 engine gets too hot and starts pinging like crazy. The unmodified factory bikes and modified both do it so leaving it stock won't matter. The engine has been pushed too far. The only cure was to back of timing and lose some power.

The XB9's don't do this. Test ride the XB9 also.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Hmmmm... 6% mortgages, 5% unemployment, 2% inflation... yeah, this economy blows.

And don't get me started on these absurdly-high housing prices! If there's one thing that signifies a poor economy, it's stratospheric housing prices combined with record levels of home ownership!

Oh, how I pine for the late 70's - early 80's. 12% unemployment, 11% inflation, 13% mortgages. Those were the days, I tell ya. And housing was CHEAP! You still couldn't afford it, but it was CHEAP! Or the halcyon days of the Clinton years, when these rates were - well, pretty close to where they are now, but there were no homeless people on the streets (really! Check the newspapers! There was hardly a mention!)

41 - 60 of 102 Posts