Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Don't forget the wonderful economy that the moron Johnson left us in the early 70's. Followed by that idiot Nixon's price/wage freeze nonsense.

Thank God that Carter spends most of his time excusing psychotic murderers like Castro and Kim Jong-Il now. Definitely the funniest ex-president! Though Clowntoon gives him a run for the money Carter can't be beat for over-the-top foolishness.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Carter is the same blindingly stupid, loathsomely dictator-coddling, prissy fool he was when he was president. Without a doubt the worst president ever, and now the worst EX-president ever.

Clinton actually has bouts of common sense now. He throws some red meat to the MoveOn crowd on occasion, but he was never the extreme lefty his conservative opponents painted him as (or the Republicans in Congress kept him in check when they were still Republicans). His friendship with the Bushes might be helping, too. Don't forget his wife wants to be prez, and they're both smart enough politicians to know that the Kos Kids are an overhyped albatross that can do nothing but lose elections for the Dems.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
You forgot that besides the catlike reflexes one has to be so devoid an actual life that one is constantly clicking on the MO link all day long.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Garsh KP, I guess you mean it...

Here's how it stacked up for me:

2005 XB9SX Bought new. Oil change every 2000 miles and sparkplugs (as you'll see later) by me.

1500 miles: Something goes wrong with bike, running on one cylinder. Feel pipes and it's the rear. Check rear plug and it's fouled. Clean plug and it runs fine. Have to use 3 universal joints, and a 1 foot section of gas line to get rear plug in-out. Plug is tiny, looks like it should be in a model airplane. Several are still rattling around somewhere next to the frame.

2000 miles: Running on one cylinder every now and then. Cleans out after a while. Take to dealer. "Everything checks out, have fun, destroy nature, and don't forget to wear a half helmet that's non-dot approved."

2100 miles: One cylinder again. Plug has crack in porcelain, Ride 36 year old 350 Honda to Harley of Glendale, buy as many plugs as I can. Runs fine now.

2300 miles: Warming up bike has terrible stink like a garbage barge. Rear fouls again. Did I put diesel in it by mistake? Pee u. Change BOTH plugs, rune fine again. For a while.

2500 miles: Take to HD of Glendale. ECM? TPS? LSD? LSMFT? Who knows. Get bike back in a week and it runs ok. Get the standard Glendale HD line again "Nah, nothin's wrong, blah blah..."

2500-3800 miles: Runs great, ride it as much as I can. All broken in now and the neatest bike I've ever owned. Go out in the garage and stare at it. Start it up just to hear the off beat idle. I'm in love.

3800 miles: Kickstand bolt breaks, bike leans WAY over at Bob's Big Boy on Friday night. Won't shift beacuse the kickstand is now intruding on the shifter. How embarrasing. Ride DT1 to Glendale HD, get nasty looks. Buy the bolt, do it myself.

4000 miles: Starts to stink again, runs kinda funny down low now. Glendale HD assures me it's just my imaginaiton and they'll check it out at the 5K service.

4000-4800 miles: Runs fine, gets kinda hot though. Going to synthetic next oil change, say it take 30 degrees off the oil temp. Seat get's real hot from close proximity to rear cylinder. Roasted buns & odd burning sensations. Stand up on pegs a lot...phew I'm sweating...

I don't know KP, I've got lots of bikes, and if one breaks I just jump on another one. This one's been kind of funny, new-bike wise. I'm sure a Jap bike wouldn't have given me as much trouble. But that being said I wouldn't change a thing. It's a keeper. And when it goes off warranty the hop up kit I bought will be installed by me. All you need is a DVOM (I hope...)

Also keep an eye on the oil level if you run it hard. It is, after all a Harley Sporster based machine.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I would go for the 9 myself. Runs smoother than the 12, revs 700 rpm further and feels just about as fast as the big one. Also cheeeeaperrrrr...

also no way do you want the R, you want the S.

Miss Cuddy u musta got a lemon. U could get eric buell on the phone i bet. i would call him. none of the buells i put miles on ever fouled plugs. U sure you didn't accidentally pour balsamic vinegar/oil dressing in gas tank?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
No, at first I thought I'd gotten a tank of putrid gas, but after it happened a second time...

You can bet a well crafted letter will go out to Eric and the gang if the HD dealer can't make it right at the 5k soivice. I've given up on Glendale HD btw, taking it to Calif HD in Harbor City. They seem more Buellish.

Did you ever get the hot seat/frame effect?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
not so much that i remember.

You go on badweatherbikers.com? I go on thumpertalk alla time anytime i need Husqvarna advice and never fail to get the scoop.

God bless the internet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sure do, I can feel it through my 'Stich on hot days. No biggie though, it's no where near as hot as my TLS would get idling in traffic. Sorry to hear you've had so many issues, my CityX has been perfect so far.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
You Husky freeks are all the same...howzit running? Will check out that site. Just out washing up the old CR500. Man, it's getting to be a real dinosaur. Like it's owner. Hate washing bikes you know, chains, air cleaners, oil ick..

Marty Tripes now makes his living storing/washing/doing maintenance on dirt bikes. He has a giant washing/maintenance/storage compound somewhere up north by Sac. Shows you where where the sport is going.

Just got back from a weekend at SH's in Rosarito. Some editor dude from Vintage MX in OZ was there, nice guy but couldn't understand a word he was saying. Great tacos btw. Drank way too much beer (burp).

·
Registered
328 Posts
I too had a fouled plug, at 2500 miles. Of course, I'd been trying to start it in sub-40 degree temps... they really mean it when they say to start the bike with the throttle closed and not touch it for 20 seconds. (Unfortunately, mine won't idle without throttle when it's that cold. Next winter/spring, I plan to use a space heater to warm it up first.)

The dealer & factory tech support said I wasn't letting it warm up enough. I definitely was shutting down while it was still cold. My commute is 6 miles/12 minutes on the street, and it'd often not get warm enough to run the fan after shutdown. So, I do the 9 mile/15 minute freeway commute instead, with a little more bundling up.

Other advice is to religiously follow the owner's manual shut-down procedure, by hitting the kill switch before turning the key. Must be an ECM thing.

Anyway, I have 5,000 on it now with no further trouble.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Just my luck.

It's running pretty good today. At least you can work on it yourself (albeit carefully). The rear plug is a pain.

Maybe get a sheet of asbestos and stick it under the seat. I got a big roll out in the garage somewhere...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I'm a fanatic about warming up 4 strokes. I'll try the kill switch thing...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Aren't you getting that confused with Harley? Seems the Buell's at half the price are much better performers. It's the more expensive Harley that get's the cheap brakes and suspension, right???

·
Registered
473 Posts
look at it like this. you have a huge mortgage. enormous car and motorcycle notes. and you just keep on buying ... borrowing more and more money to pay your debts until you are so far underwater you are breathing exotic gases just to stay alive.

but you are still employed so everything is okay, right?

this president, and this administration, has engaged in SO MUCH deficit spending that for all intents and purposes, china OWNS the u.s. ... and yet we continue to spend more and more.

even democrats are appalled at the spending spree. there is no precedent ... especially among republican administrations.

so scoff if you want. it is likely that i am closer to retirement than you, so we will see who has the last laugh.

and who ends up digging ditches in bangalore.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts