Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 800.
All factory...... I was told that a good way to modify the factory exhaust was to drill 1/2 inch holes in the end of the exhaust pipe? I know it's not really a good way, but the factory ones are too quiet, and I was not ready to go spend a few hundred for exhaust pipes yet. Thanks....JH

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Mess with your exhaust pipes and you'll most likely lose power. And the extra noise will piss off everyone else.

Spend your money on something else.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Sure you CAN, but why would you WANT to?

Sometime in the late '80s manufacturers started using this amazing concept of a so-called "tuned exhaust" that made acceptable power, decent tone, and passable noise-emissions.

Of course, you can drill a swissful O' holes right through the baffles and it will be nearly as loud as any straight-piped Harley - but it's NOT a 45degree pushrod-actuated single-crankpin V-twin, and won't sound as such.

It'll just be loud and flatulent.

And pyss people off.

After a $90 Jet Kit, you might even manage to lose only 2 or 3 HP from stock.

It's your party, float whatever turd in the punchbowl you like.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Just spend the $150 and buy a set of Jardine slip-ons. It will look better and sound better.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Slip-on pipes are far cheaper than trying to replace the stock one after you hack it up. At resale time buyers have less confidence in a bike that has been Mickey Moused. Best to retain the stock system unaltered.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
a 3ft. chunk of rebar and a sledge hammer will open them sum'biches up good, make sure you go from the engine side out or the mangled up chunks will create power-robbing eddies in the exhaust flow.....

You will of course lose about 25% of your horsepower and the bike will run and sound like balloon full of farts but it will be loud !

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Well.....

Would you care to explain exactly how one creates a balloon full of farts? No photos...please.
...the traditional method of cholostomy bag, surgical tubing and a Schrader valve work the best for collection and transfer. Being an engineer, I go the extra mile and add data points for pressure, flow and volume so I can set up a performance matrix but it's really only me being anal...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, Ok, No rebar or surgical tubing here. Looks like the factory stuff will do for a while. Slip ons at some time in the future are the way to go. Not looking to wake the dead, just a little more than what it has. Thanks for the info....

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
Look everone here is correct about the loss of power. Also the resale statment is very true.

For that particular bike the best thing you could ever do is drill out the air fuel mixture plugs and either turn them out 2 1/2
turns. This will cut your warm up time in half an give alot more throttle response.

These bikes havent changed since 1987 and the factory sets them up way to lean to make it into America. An EGA is the best way to adjust them but not required. Also I have about 4yrs on Dynomometers and if you do get a slip on I highly suggest a jetkit. It not only will give you great off idle response but raise the power throughout the entire rev range.

The things Iv reccommended will not make it any louder but make it run much much better. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that's way better than a balloon full of farts. I was on my second serving of beans too!!! After checking into slip-ons a little bit more, I think I will just keep it stock. Great info thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Suzuki800. I would like to make the bike look a little more attractive. For starters, is there any place that sells a soft tail for this bike. I hate the seat with the back rest and I would like something different. Also the mirrors are a little too bulky. I need something more slim line. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I have a Suzuki800. I would like to make the bike look a little more attractive. For starters, is there any place that sells a soft tail for this bike. I hate the seat with the back rest and I would like something different. Also the mirrors are a little too bulky. I need something more slim line. Does anyone have any suggestions?
No, no one makes accessory softails for Japanese bikes.

You can get seats and accessory mirrors at any number of accessory shops, dealers or the internet. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(Moderators edit )

SIGH.

We just got the forums working again after several years of being broken..............
And already the insults are flying.

Nope. Not gonna put up with that kind of crap.
Be civil or be gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts