1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Not a damned bit of difference in this or the Iron Butt Rally. This guy is at least telling the truth.
For comparison, the Coast to Coast ride sponsored by the IBA has a 50-hour limit. And the standard route, which is much shorter than the NY-LA route in the Cannonball, runs from Jacksonville, Florida, to San Diego. A 50CC (as it is known) is much more comparable to the pacing of the Iron Butt Rally than the Cannonball. Hmm, about 2400 miles in 50 hours - do it right and you can get about 7 hours sleep in the middle. Not so bad.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Anyone doing a 50CC sleeps at the end of the second day too, honey, so it's 7 hours of sleep PER DAY. And your idea that people need to speed is way off base. Let's subtract that seven hours from the 50 hours allotted for the CC. That's 43 hours to do 2400 miles. You need to average 56 miles per hour. Hardly speeding, even if you consider the time spent on gas stops. Remember, trained long-distance riders can get in and out of a gas stop in 4 minutes.

As I've said before, you don't know anything about the IBA or its goals. All you have is misperceptions. Too bad.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Sorry there Sachi, but your 'facts' are a bit off cause in your calculation you only get the other 7 hours of sleep AFTER you are done. Sleeping 7 hours per day would make 14 hours of sleep in 50 hours. A day in a normal persons' life is 24 hours, so I still think I can count correctly. If you sleep 7 the first 24 and 7 the second 24 then you only have 38 hours to complete the 'race' and that makes you have to average 63 mph, which there is NO WAY to average without speeding when you consider gas stops, eating, shytting, speed zones, traffic, construction and the like. Makes it look like sleep deprivation or speeding to me. Too bad you have to misrepresent what really occurs to show the politically correct face on this nonsense. The funny part is that you act like I have never done anything like this. I have ridden multiple 800+ mile days many times, and I know how long real travel on real roads takes, so please cut the bullshyt on this. I know you are a lawyer and you have to try to prove black is really white, but you aren't fooling anyone but yourself on this one. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Actually, averaging 63 mph for 24 hours is done fairly frequently without undue speeding. True, you can do it only on freeways (or other fairly empty straight roads with a 65-up speed limit, and it helps if you are on the west side of the country, where things are less crowded. But I've easily managed WELL over 63 mph for many hours on some of my rides. With a five minute gas stop every two hours (for a small tank) it takes only an overall average of 66 mph to keep your speed over 63 - like I say, when you know what you are doing, and that means how not to waste your time, it's not that hard.

I'm sure you've ridden long days. But you clearly do not know how to manage your time on your rides, so you don't think it can be done. I practice on every long ride I take, so I know very well what I can do and what it takes to do it.

By the way, anyone who pulls out the "political correctness" nonsense has, in my opinion, shown that he doesn't have any valid arguments.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
All I know is that my 52 year-old can won't stay in the saddle for more than 90 minutes at a time.

I'd get a better seat, but my legs and neck (and most everything else) are screaming for a break at about the same time.

And don't get me started on what it's like if it gets cold, like below 55 degrees!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
All I know is that my 52 year-old can won't stay in the saddle for more than 90 minutes at a time.

I'd get a better seat, but my legs and neck (and most everything else) are screaming for a break at about the same time.

And don't get me started on what it's like if it gets cold, like below 55 degrees!
Couldn't you just grab a sack full of cocaine and do it that way? What's the big deal?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Not a damned bit of difference in this or the Iron Butt Rally. This guy is at least telling the truth.
What's irksome are the bs excuses. EVERYONE knows ironbutters are speeding. Actually I don't care one bit. Modern motorcycles are entirely safe on the Interstates at 90mph. Most rural interstate speed limits are total bs. I speed all the time, so what? If I get caught I just pay the fine and act a little more carefully. So why all the excuses? No one is fooling anyone.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
What's irksome are the bs excuses. EVERYONE knows ironbutters are speeding.
Well. Of course we speed. As you said, everyone does. If you don't, you're not even keeping up with traffic in most places.

But many here seem to assume that speeding is necessary to do the kinds of distances that IB riders do. It just isn't so, and in fact going faster (at a certain point at least) can have a detrimental effect on your performance, because it kills your fuel mileage. Last year I rode up to Pocatello, Idaho from San Diego. 913 miles, easy one day ride. I got on the 15 a mile from my door and didn't get off until I was in Pocatello. It took me just over 13 hours. Most of the way, the speed limit was 75. The prevailing speed (except in Salt Lake City, blah) was 85, and that is pretty much what I did. And my mileage tanked, it totally tanked. I normally can get about 170-185 miles out of a tank of gas, but on this trip I was getting about 130-145. I was *barely* getting a benefit out of running at 85. If I had tried for higher speeds yet, I suspect I would have been eating away at my time, not gaining.

By comparison, on the BunBurner I did last year, my partner (another woman) and I trucked along at about 75. We were well ahead of a 1500 in 24 pace - which is just under 63 mph - until I ran into some electrical problems outside Flagstaff and wasted 45 minutes or so trying to figure it out (I didn't and just about froze my ass on the rest of the ride.) The point is, high speeds are just not required when you know how to manage your time, and experienced IBA riders know that those high speeds can be detrimental.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"By the way, anyone who pulls out the "political correctness" nonsense has, in my opinion, shown that he doesn't have any valid arguments."

My arguments are certainly more valid than yours. You already you admit you speed. All you need to do is admit that sleep deprivation is part of it too. Too bad the lying Iron Butt people can't admit it. The Gov corraled the truck driving industry long ago because everyone that drove a truck figured out if you don't sleep much and speed lots you make more miles, and more money. Certainly those things dont' work for the Iron Butt riders, eh? Tell your PC Iron Butt people to start telling the truth, and until then they are just plain full of shyt, and I almost forgot POLITICALLY CORRECT TOO! You forgot I paid my 50, so I get to give you crap with impunity!:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.