Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am sick of this question. unless you are king of your own heap (bike or car) what does it matter whether one is faster than the other or not?

If somebody else is faster than you on two wheels or four, you need to quit yapping about whether 2 wheels are faster or 4 because in your world its you who's slow, and not the car (or the bike).

not that the bench racers will stop with this. the most amazing thing I've realized is that the really fast guys, on two wheels or four, are the ones who are modest and humble about their speed and who are secure enough to not get into bench racing of this sort.

They're focused on how they can do better, not what they can boast to others about their own choice of hobby, nonsense like "my gixxer would beat that ferrari around laguna seca"

·
Registered
306 Posts
apples and oranges

Two different worlds. INMHO, one can't compare. I find the fast car drivers are into bikes as well. The slow car drivers (but with fat wallets) usually feel threatened by the likes of <$10k bikes that can whoop their a$$es.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: apples and oranges

I agree. It seems like the most insecure car drivers are the ones with the $35K, 230 HP(or whatever they had last year) BMW 3 series. Of course let's not forget about the teenage boy with the commuter car wearing a Folger's can on the exhaust pipe. He is so desperate to have a tale of motorized domination to ensnare potential vaginal donors, that he is willing to kill you for it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Who are these guys? I demand MR. ALLCAPS and his Gixxer Thou represent us! With the recent Aero-mods to the brain tank he'd smoke the cages! Remember when the guy went 0-100-0 on the bike before the Vette went 0-100?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
You're referring to Kevin Schwantz, and the Motorcyclist article from April 2002 with a Corvette ZO6 vs. a GSXR1000

Page One

Page Two

Page Three

Page Four

Page Five

Page Six

Page Seven

Page Eight

Page Nine

Or howzabout the Top Gear episode of the Yamaha R1 Vs. Porsche Carrera?

It really seems that the "winner" just depends on who is trying to prove what to whom. While the Top Gear segment is a bit entertaining, the host is really an abrasive Jackass toward motorcyclists and American-made Autos, and always has been. Like Dave DeSpain, he can BITE ME.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeh I remember that too... They had that fat mag editor, wannabe riding the bike. No wonder it lost. A decent rider would have been at least 5-10 seconds quicker.

Every similar track comparison I've seen where they had proper racers riding/driving, the bike always won.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I'd be a little leary about getting on the track with a car anyway, I'd be afraid the guy would lose it and nail me on his way through the hay bails.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Honda CBR1000RR: $11,499

Porsche 911 Turbo: $122,900

Proof that if you grow a sack you can save big bucks and still have a machine that will laugh at you every time you think you're going fast. (Now that Porsche went back to the round headlights, that new Turbo is the cat's ass though). Anyway, the car has to be much, much easier to drive fast. Even though you don't want anything bad to happen, the driver still knows in the back of his mind that seatbelts, abs, traction control, reinforced frames, crumple zones, and airbags are all there to help out should anything go awry (nevermind you would be wadding up a $130K German supercar...).

·
Registered
352 Posts
how's this -

My Honda RS125 would beat a 911 around WSIR.

You know bikes are faster when a 125cc can beat some of the 'best' sports cars out there :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
hahah that's awesome, that means me on my little 95' 125cc bike with a fastest laptime of 1:34.04 could best the Z06 !

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I am always skeptical about these match ups. Usually the bike is ridden by someone we have never heard of. i.e. questionable qualifications. I would love to see Rossi/Mladin on a stock liter bike and a professional sports car driver in the Porche.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
This is especially interesting since I just last weekend showed the true meaning of performance to some drone in his 3-Series "World's Greatest Driving Machine" with my recently acquired, salvage titled ZRX1100.

The funniest car vs bike article I sawr was the Car and Driver bit where C&D's editor, Cheddar Cheese, ran a Dodge Viper against some guy from CW (I think) on a Yamaha Literbike back in the mid 90s. They did a stint on the Angeles Crest, at the drag strip and at Riverside. The Viper was a bit faster on the Crest, got humilated at the drag strip and was pulling slightly faster laps at Riverside when the engine self-destructed. They were going to also do a stint at the Streets of Willow but the Dodge's disappearing act put the scotch on it.

The editor of C&D unaccountably declared the Dodge the winner! Imagine that. A car that blew its engine, and by the way also was chewing up it's brakes, won according to that arrogant jerk. I'm sure all those DNF guys over the years who lost their bikes while in the "lead" will be pleased to know that they actually "won".

The real answer here is not which one is faster. The winner is the one that can perform at a high level day after day after day. With darned few exceptions cars simply cannot take the daily punishment that a modern sportbike can. If cagers took their Vipers or whatever and subjected them to the abuse regularly each weekend that some of the sportbikers do the cars would be in Toastville while the bikes would still be motoring merrily along.

I enjoy sporty cars as much as anyone but I don't ever waste my time thinking that I can compete with a bike.

BTW Buz, how 'bout them Dischargers?

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Almost forgot. Give according to some experts I heard* that the bike is 80% rider 20% bike and the car is 20% rider 80% car, it seems to me any AMA superbike rider could beat the stiff they have in this artible by several seconds thus beating the car. But for the average rider and average driver the car will probably win which reinforces the 80/20 rule. i.e see it ain't the tool article

*From the movie "Faster"

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
kpaul the GMP says

Hey I know the Broncos will win the Division. If you would keep your Chargers off of steriods and away from cops you would actually beat the Broncos. Rivers is inexperienced though but I think it won't take him long to be better than Plummer. Next year the Chargers run away with the division. Broncos choke this year again cause of Plummer. Shananan will get a 1 year or you're out warning from the owner.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
MO should do it's own Bike vs. Car

LOL good one.. Sean would be a good canidate for this since he has raced both motorcycle and car. I would also trust that he would be more objective than a car guy or bike guy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dollar for dollar, bikes always win. Some of the nitrous fiends at our local track are burning out their car engines weekly trying to feel the rush and forgetting for <$10k they can get the same thrill anytime, without a rebuild.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.