Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what about stoppies? That's great that you gave him advice on the whole burnout thing, but you didn't address his stoppie problem, which[stoppies] are really much more impressive and satisfying than a pansy standing burnout. C'mon, give the man the advice he needs....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought the same thing. Unless you're actually racing the bike at the track. Maybe you should buy (not by) a seat in a class in a racing school. That would help you for years. Plus improved braking techinque will benefit you more than carbon fiber brakes.

Take care,

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a guess here: I've read that carbon brakes take a lot longer to get heated-up than what you're probably used to so....try warming-up the front brakes with a few hard stops right before you go for the Stoppie (as you probably already know, this will also warm up the front tire so it will be less likely to skid when your tail is in the air)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Carbon racing brakes and Heat

BostonDuck touched on this point a little. Carbon brakes actually work better as they heat up. Unless you use them how the manufacturer intended (racing, in this case) you're probably better off with sintered or standard brake pads. I've tried sintered ones myself, and they've worked very well for me. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My comments exactly. The idea that racing pads are somehow better for the street is completely bull$hit! Much the same way that race tires are crap until up to operating temperature, they are potentially dangerous for street applications. Even on very hard street riding in the twisties, the cornering forces and braking are usually not sufficient to keep race tires and race pads in their operating range, and even if they do get there for a short section, the next straight stretch will let them cool down, and the next turn you will be surprised to find that you do not have nearly the grip or braking power of the last turn! I speak from personal experience!

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you bought these brakes for the street you are an idiot. how about some purple neon lights to go with them....they are just as functional

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's an even better idea! Take those ultra expensive carbon fiber--racing only-- brake pads off, mount them in a picture frame in your bedroom (get mom's ok first) and put on a set of regular pads from just about anybody (Galfer, EBC etc). If you don't belive me, grab a handful of front brake after exiting the e-way and see how much stopping power you get! Just trying to save you from introducing your self to the driver of the car stopped at the end of the exit ramp via his/her rear window dood!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.