Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
u never know do u? i would like to see mladin get a shot on a good bike, really. i think rossi is faster but mladin might be Angry enough to make up the difference.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Carl never really got the kudos he deserved over here even when he was at he top of his game. I don't see that any US MOrons are going to change thier opinions now.

Carl was never terribly mushy when describing US teams or tracks or racers and from conversations Scott Russell has had that I've been privy too he certainly was no fan of Carls.

I'm shocked that Carl spoke about Scott the way he did, coming from Foggy his comments amount to love fest.

BTW, Foggy vs. Rossi, puhleeeze! Foggy would crush him like the pretender Rossi is.

Heh, heh.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Shouldn't this be Fogarty vs. Kocinski, -or- Fogarty vs. Edwards?

For a man to deliberately stay-away from the GP scene for his entire (mostly dominant) career, then start taking about how he would beat the (totally dominant) world GP champion is just silly. Fogartys just fishing for press and in this case I guess he received it.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Foggy also said he would have beat Jordan 1 on 1 in his prime, and whupped Ali in the ring on his best day. As long as it's just talkin', Foggy can be whatever he wants to be. Too bad reality says he's a currently a has-been Superbike Champ and a never-was GP champ. I figure we should be hearing from Mladin about 5 years after he quits on how he could have beaten everyone too.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
As he stated in the interveiw, when he was on top WSB was the premier class with the likes of Foggy, Nori Haga, Troy Corser, Colin Edwards, etc... what incentive would there be at that time to move to two strokes in MotoGP?

Now that MotoGP is four strokes they've eclipsed WSB in fan base and sponsership and as Jerez showed put up some absolutely fantastic racing, but at the time WSB was the most exciting.

As for whether Foggy in his prime could beat Rossi now, well I think ol' Carls dreaming but it would make a hell of a race to see.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fuggin' tough crowd man. U know, any of those guys who make it to the professional level think they can beat God otherwise they would never have got there, has been my experience. Ask the slowest backmarker out there if he could beat mladin on mladin's bike, and i already know the answer. ***** man, Fogarty won WSC champeenship how many times? He's entitled to a little chest thumping. Great laguna seca race when kocinski beat him, tho. `97?

·
Registered
337 Posts
To find out what would happen to Foggy against Valentino is easy. Just watch Colin. Back inn his RC45 days, Edwards was just behind His Highness a couple of times, then he got the RC51 and Foggy had no answer. So, one could conclude that Colin is about the same ability and skill as Carl.

Now Colin is on 99% the same bike as Valentino and he can't quite catch Rossi. So, it is pretty clear that Carl couldn't either.

Speaking of Rossi, he should lose the Jerez points as a penalty for that NASCAR pass. Suddenly Biaggi's move a few years back looks different. Whether or not Sete left the door open is irrelevant. Anytime you pass somebody and slam him hard enough to seriously injure him, you are in the wrong. Period. Rossi should lose the points.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Actually it would be fun to see a charity super moto race on 250 (4st) between any of the past champs and the modern guys. Rossi, Foggy, Ru$$ell, Mladin, toss a bunch into the ring and set back and watch.

Rossi would probably win but it'd be fun to watch.

I'm amazed, he almost complemented Ru$$ell, he must be going soft in his old age. I didn't think they liked each other much, in the day.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wish I could have seen any motorcycle racing this year, but unfortunately Time Warner Cable is in the business of ripping off customers via their terrible channel selection. Sure, my wife doesn't mind at all since there are TWO 'Lifetime' channels, but I am forced to watch 'Orange County Choppers' and OLN's coverage of the Dakar rally to get my fix.

I hate Time Warner Cable!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
::Sarcasm on:: Sure, Gibernau was totally out of line for heading to the apex... I mean, he should of been watching his mirrors, right? (MotoGP bikes do have mirrors, don't they?) After all, it is the rider who is being overtaken's responsibility to avoid contact... isn't it? ::Sarcasm off::

If Rossi's brake lever hit Sete's left shoulder, it means that Rossi was still about 2' behind at the time of the impact. If he was going much faster than Sete before the impact (and he was) it means he was about 5' behind when Sete actually turned-in for the corner. How can you asess blame on a rider who was on the racing line and being overtaken? Rossi's entry was deliberately shallow and the corner would have been hard for him to make, had he not used Sete as a berm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A Bit out of Context...

Not seeing why this is interview so controversial, outside of the semi-barb on Hodgson's popularity and personality, of which both rate very well with me. On Toseland however, he's dead on. He's less marketable than about 75% of the privateers out there. A great technical racer yes, but television superbike savior? Lord no.

Foggy accurately portrays MotoGP as a viciously expensive and heavily Spanish endeavor (were it not for the novelty of having a Hayden there, I wouldn't even watch) and notices correctly that World Superbike is coming back well with with the involvement of ALL major factories. Please show me where these observations are wrong.

In the context of the interview, please notice this quote

Fogarty insists he would have beaten 'The Doctor' if the two had come head-to-head during his career.

I believe that rules out the notion that he was ready to hop on the Petronas Triple and head to Estoril tomorrow.

"I've always believed in my own ability, and I'd love to be out there now to challenge him," he stated.

Within context, he is being completely respectful of Rossi's dominant skills and wonders how they would rate against his own with an ideal set up. I can't believe this in some ways surprises people. We're talking about a 4 time WSBK champion who is now running his own multibike team. For one, he's earned the right to be a little self assured, for the second, he's supposed to just roll over for somebody he never actually competed against? That would not reflect well on his record or gritty personality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Uh, check the official MotoGP website (no link provided because I'm not a shill) and you can pick up an internet broadcast package for a very reasonable price, complete with replays, excellent commentary, no commercials, ie the works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: A Bit out of Context...

You make many good points. My reaction may have something to do with not ever liking Foggy in the first place. That said, I don't believe he was even the dominant rider of his era - despite the four championships. I have little doubt that had Foggy joined up with GP and had he ridden the NSR, that Doohan would likely have still wiped the floor with him.

Despite Rossi's antics this past weekend - and I gotta go with Sean on this one (sorry, johnnyb) - Rossi is looking like one of the all time greats. I say that having grown up worshipping at the Holy Mother of Hailwood Sacramental Church. In my own internal calculus, if Rossi is one of the greats, and Foggy was not even the best of his era, my only response to Foggy believing he could beat Rossi is laughter. So maybe it's more about protecting my beliefs than anything else, but still....

That said, Foggy makes some salient points, however give Gibernau his due. He's the only rider during the past two seasons to regularly challenge Rossi. He's not there just cause he's Spanish.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Longride posted a link to a free download of the race on the motogp race 1 news item. At least you get dakar, speed dropped it and we's gots no OLN... 90 channels of crap I dont want though...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.