Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Fun Tacts to Know and Tell:

The AMC Pacer and GM/Chevy Vega were designed to be rotary-engine powered. There was a very big push to move to rotary in the '70's; almost every car maker was planning them. However, rotor tip seal issues on early Mazdas, and generally poor gas mileage, killed the trend.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Fun Tacts to Know and Tell:

The AMC Pacer and GM/Chevy Vega were designed to be rotary-engine powered. There was a very big push to move to rotary in the '70's; almost every car maker was planning them. However, rotor tip seal issues on early Mazdas, and generally poor gas mileage, killed the trend.
Remenber that commercial?

The piston engine goes boing boing boing (or something like that) but the Mazda goes Hmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
The model Fiero displayed in the photo was utter crap.

The last model before they killed it had the v6 and a more "flying buttress" look to the back end.

Fieros were also prone to catching on fire.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The early rotaries from Mazda were cool as hell. My buddy had a rotary pickup; that thing would haul serious ass. He had this routine he'd do where we'd be riding along in 4th gear and he'd take his foot off the gas. The truck would slow almost to a walk, and he'd floor it. It wouldn't lug or shudder, just start slowly speeding right back up to cruising speed. Try that with a piston engine...no, don't.

If Pontiac had produced the V-6 Fiero first or at the same time as the 4, they would have sold a million of them. People were nuts for that car, right up until they drove it and found out how slow that ancient 4 cylinder engine was.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Actually, this was the coolest Datsun sports car. The 1600 or 2000 Fairlady. It would kick the @ass of any Triumph or MG and didn't break down every 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
All time favourites

Actually, this was the coolest Datsun sports car. The 1600 or 2000 Fairlady. It would kick the @ass of any Triumph or MG and didn't break down every 100 miles.

The Datsun 2000 is on my all time favourite list. These cars are still reasonably priced in the collector car market. I would love to have one. I knew a chick that had a Fiero once. Does that buy me anything?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
My wife wanted a Fiero for her first car,but her Dad didn't have an association with the Dealer like he had with the Ford guy.

She ended up with a Silver Mustang ragtop. The six, but still...

The Fates in the Automotive Dept. must've been smiling on her that day...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
My wife wanted a Fiero for her first car,but her Dad didn't have an association with the Dealer like he had with the Ford guy.

She ended up with a Silver Mustang ragtop. The six, but still...

The Fates in the Automotive Dept. must've been smiling on her that day...
So what went wrong when YOU came along?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Speaking of flying under the radar - a hot tip in the early '80s was to order a Mustang LE with the 5.0 liter V8 instead of a six. You had a nice little Q-ship, and if your insurance company didn't ask too many questions, you got cheaper insurance to boot.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Speaking of flying under the radar - a hot tip in the early '80s was to order a Mustang LE with the 5.0 liter V8 instead of a six. You had a nice little Q-ship, and if your insurance company didn't ask too many questions, you got cheaper insurance to boot.
I have another hot tip. That body style of Mustang was total shyte.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Hey, by the standards of the day, it was OK.
We had an 80 Mustang with the 2.3 4cylinder. By 60K miles the power steering rack had to be replaced. After that it was a regular stream of repairs. Though the engine itself held up just about everything else broke at one time or another. Since the Japanese had managed to make cars that didn't do that for at least a decade it was inexcusable. That car soured me on Fords to this day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 5 liter Monroe Handler was a sweet promotional special.:cool:

I don't know if any company ever got around to making a rotary powered motorcycle, but that would have been cool.:)

RX-7 & Cosmo Coupe

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I had a couple of Pinto's that were pretty good cars. before you fall out of your chair laughing bear in mind

A. They were all over the place and a dime a dozen, the "exploding Pinto" scare made them almost worthless even though it was a five minute fix to correct the flaw.

B. They had almost bullet proof reliability, much like the Toyota 22R engine the Ford 2.3 OHC engine was brick simple and varients were used until the early 2000 models in the Ranger and Mazda pick-ups

C. The junkyards were full of them because even a minor fenderbender usually resulted in the owner insisting on a write-off, thus there was a ready supply of cheap used parts to keep them running.

D. A 4 speed Pinto with studded tires was more fun to drive in the snow and on dirt roads than should be legally allowed

E. And finally, they got pretty good gas mileage for the time. For all around cheap transportation they were a slam-dunk, you could even stuff a 74 in the back if it was in pieces.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
A man

I had a couple of Pinto's that were pretty good cars. before you fall out of your chair laughing bear in mind

A. They were all over the place and a dime a dozen, the "exploding Pinto" scare made them almost worthless even though it was a five minute fix to correct the flaw.

B. They had almost bullet proof reliability, much like the Toyota 22R engine the Ford 2.3 OHC engine was brick simple and varients were used until the early 2000 models in the Ranger and Mazda pick-ups

C. The junkyards were full of them because even a minor fenderbender usually resulted in the owner insisting on a write-off, thus there was a ready supply of cheap used parts to keep them running.

D. A 4 speed Pinto with studded tires was more fun to drive in the snow and on dirt roads than should be legally allowed

E. And finally, they got pretty good gas mileage for the time. For all around cheap transportation they were a slam-dunk, you could even stuff a 74 in the back if it was in pieces.
A man sees lemons and he makes lemonade.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.