Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, many thanks to our very own longride for brokering the sale. Thanks a million George.

I brought home my first SOHC and it's a pretty fantastic bike. Paint is shot to hell but that's fine by me. Carbs were rebuilt by the Man himself and the cone filters are the cat's meow. After sitting for awhile with untreated gas it fired up right away, and after destroying my back, the seller and I got it into the truck.

I brought it home and the Motorcycle Crew and I unloaded it. It was grumpy for a bit and I was a little worried. We got it going though and the bike idles happily without a hitch. Oh, and despite being a '73, electric start has been installed so you can kick or not (kicking is obviously way bytchin'). Everybody took turns RIPPING up and down the dark, wet, snow-covered street before I retired it for the night. Not much to be done really, just some paint (maybe), a little steel wool and polishing and it's good to go. It needs a little love on the electrics front, but mainly just the turn signals need wiring. I couldn't be happier. I have some plans for it but it's in such good shape that I'm probably holding off until next winter to do what I want. Tires are great, seat is basically NOS, and did I mention I don't have to touch the carbs?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I couldn't be happier. I have some plans for it but it's in such good shape that I'm probably holding off until next winter to do what I want. Tires are great, seat is basically NOS, and did I mention I don't have to touch the carbs?
Congrats! A couple more pics when the time and lighting is right, please?

That pic kinda reminds me of the ugly girl at the bar. In the right light, anything looks good! ;)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Good deal,now you have a project to fill your time with....idle hands are after all the devils playthings.

Once that old horse trader Longride got involved I'm surprised the guy didn't pay you to take it....must be loosing his touch.....

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Glad you got the bike and you are happy with it. I'm always willing to help out a motorcycle nut. Let me know if you need any info on it.
You suppose you could teach him how to ride it? Moke thinks highly of your skilzorz!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats! A couple more pics when the time and lighting is right, please?

That pic kinda reminds me of the ugly girl at the bar. In the right light, anything looks good! ;)
Yours is a valid request, Sir. "In bar light, she looked alright/In daylight, she looked desperate" is a line from a song with which we can all relate. I will happily post some better pics after the snow goes away and I get tags and can get the bike home from my buddy's place. Tags and registration will be happening later this week (oh joy) and the snow is obviously not in my hands. That picture was snapped quickly at the end of a very long day and at an angle that would please a lady friend. If I had shown her a pic of a bank of carbs, well, it would've been about the same as showing her the inner workings of a nuclear reactor....pointless. I swear there was no San Fernando Valley/back-room-of-the-video-store trickery involved with the lighting. I just needed to get inside for a beer.

This is now the third street bike I've owned, but the first that's older, so updates and pictures will be posted in exchange for advice on wrenching. We all gotta learn somehow and I hope you guys keep that in mind when I post seemingly ridiculous questions. As always, questions on Riding Skillzez will be directed to Moke.

Finally, this is the first time I've had two bikes at once and I really really like the Buell and don't want to give it up, and this CB, especially after I put some time and effort into it, will never be given up...this is how it starts, isn't it? This is why I worked OT until 11 on a Sunday night for parts money, and why I'll be too busy to bother taking a girl out for a second date, and why I can't wait to go to Sears for some new tools. I love it and hope you all do too.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
...this is how it starts, isn't it? This is why I worked OT until 11 on a Sunday night for parts money, and why I'll be too busy to bother taking a girl out for a second date, and why I can't wait to go to Sears for some new tools. I love it and hope you all do too.
Ah, memories. When I bought my 77 Low Rider, my HD mechanic friend Marcus told me: "you can ride it for about a year as is, then it's going to need a frame-up rebuild." So I did, and then we did. It was the most frustrating 2 years of my life rebuilding that bike. Mostly trying to get Marcus to get out to his shop and help me work on the damn thing. But when it was done, I had a brand-new 77 Low Rider that was actually a little better than new with it's electronic ignition, Progressive suspension, and S&S carb. Any where we went the bike got a lot of attention. 15 years later, I wasn't enjoying it any more, so I passed it on to another.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Finally, this is the first time I've had two bikes at once and I really really like the Buell and don't want to give it up, and this CB, especially after I put some time and effort into it, will never be given up...this is how it starts, isn't it? This is why I worked OT until 11 on a Sunday night for parts money, and why I'll be too busy to bother taking a girl out for a second date, and why I can't wait to go to Sears for some new tools. I love it and hope you all do too.
Ah yes. Running out and spending the paycheck on more goodies and then staying up all night cursing and trying to get those "custom goodies made especially for my bike" to actually fit. Smells like the 70s.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. But as you get time on the CB750 and compare it to the Buell you'll see very quickly that the two are worlds apart in handling, braking and power. Old bikes are fun for many things but the suspensions and brakes are 70s era and the bikes are heavy. Make sure you wear the right attitude when on the "boat anchor".

Nice ride though. The SOHC CBs are gaining in collector interest.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Motorcycles are all about having fun Triple. Regardless of what others think, if you are having fun with the CB then nothing and nobody else matters. It's a cool bike that you can learn as you go and ride it around before you even start. The price was right too. I'm sure you will have a blast with it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
TR,

Two things -

Don't use 'steel' wool! Use stainless or brass wool. The 'steel' wool will contaminate the work surface, and then corrode.

Brakes. The CB doesn't have any to speak of. Be VERY careful when you ride it after the Buell, cause it won't stop.

Of course, you'll need to exercise caution when riding the Buell after the CB, 'cause you'll tend to 'overbrake' a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts