Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
+1

There aren't that many electric motors installed in garages, except a CV system or maybe a freshwater booster. The one in the A/C air handler doesn't count, 'cause any ozone it produces is sent into the house.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure about this. A few weeks back the PowerSportsHonda Dealer in metuchen NJ told me that the cement flooring in the garage causes damage to the tires and advised me to keep the motorcycle either on some old rug or some rags. I am not sure if all Honda Dealers are on crack.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The last set of tires on the Concours had premature cracking. They never even saw a vacuum or jack squat for electric motors. I think some tires just suck.

They were Dunlop Elite II's.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Battery chargers don't generate much ozone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ozone is created in the spark gap of electric motors (and welding, I believe). And, yes, it degrades tire rubber. I'd be surprised if running a central vac for 10 minutes a week would be enough, though.

Did you check the tire-manufacture date codes to see if the tires were built before 2005? If it was a 2003 tire put on a new bike in 2004, it might just be getting old.

Also, if the tires have been through a lot of heat cycles, that might contribute to premature cracking.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is a well documented issue with central vac systems. They are notoriously jealous of motorcycles and have been known to sabotage them. The vacs are quite nefarious, but luckily ill equiped to do much damage. Somehow, they figued out how to prematurely crack tires though. Also, they'll put dino oil in your engine while you sleep.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
You mean THESE cute lil' blue fellers?

Vermin, I say. Extermination is too good for them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.