Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you not content with modern technology, water-cooling, electronic gizmos, and other stuff that takes away from the "true" motorcycle experience, take a look at what our friends in China have to offer.

Based on the military 1938 BMW R71, and the Russian Army's M72 copy, the Chang Jiang 750 offers up loads of style and charm, with it's 22 horse power flathead mill, and military sidecar models. These bikes have all been rebuilt with modern materials (bearings, pistons, valves, etc.) and can be imported to the United States legally as antiques.

Had I known about these bikes a couple years ago, I would have picked one up (instead of my XB9SX). The basic ones list for around $4,000.00, with door-to-door shipping thrown in for another one thousand dollars.

What say you Morons? Should we press the new owners of MO for a full test and riding impression of the Chang Jiang?

Take a look: Long River Motorworks CJ's and More-Frames Page

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I'm a sucker for old bikes. Have you heard anything about the reliability of theses bikes? Because I'm retarded when it comes to working on the damn things.

Are they better sorted out than Royal Enfields?

I'd pick on up in a heart beat if I had any coin in my pocket. The bike would look great in my driveway! Definitely a bike where you need riding goggles!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since they're a copy of a Russian military bike, that is a copy of a WWII BMW, I'd say they're about as reliable as an anvil.
I called the guy in Colorado about the bikes, and he relayed they are built like a tank. A very slow tank (top speed on the flathead one with the low geared diff is about 55 mph).

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Since they're a copy of a Russian military bike, that is a copy of a WWII BMW, I'd say they're about as reliable as an anvil.
I called the guy in Colorado about the bikes, and he relayed they are built like a tank. A very slow tank (top speed on the flathead one with the low geared diff is about 55 mph).
Sounds like I need a camo one to mount a .50 cal on for the next war. I'm in.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Right, I was reading the info on the site and that is what was kind of stated.

The 55mph thing is a bit limiting. If it was 70-75mph I wouldn't think twice about it (even 65 would be passable). But even living where I live, 55 as a top spead is somthing I could find a bit too limiting.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, not on the ones with the sidecar drive wheel (at laest not that easy). The ones with the 2 wheel drive have reverse too.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The M60 was based on the MG42. 'cept the kraut gun was better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.