Motorcycle Forums banner

Cheapest way to 200mph - has somebody already tried it?

15K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  TomSmith 
I got cable a few years ago and started watching the SPEED channel and other networks that showed people working on cars and motorcycles. I can't remember the channel or show but they did a documentary showing races at the Salt Flats and how the racers prepped their bikes and cars. Most were old people working on old cars or large corporations building bullet cars out of Chevy I-4 engines, all trying to get their red ball cap signifying they broke the 200 mph mark. One guy I thought kinda cheated. He bought a Hyuabusa, tricked it out moderately, put on leathers, and boom he went getting his red cap. I wasn't all that impreseed until I got the December 2005 Motorcyclist magazine (sorry I was bored from having eye surgery and needed something to pre-occuppy myself with). I look on the second to last page and there is a 1/2 page add for Hein Gericke jackets on it. Who do you think is in the picture leaning on his Hyuabusa wearing an advertised jacket but that guy from the tv show. I found my magazine for you and the guy's name is John Noonan, world record 242.888 mph on a street bike record holder. He documented what he did on his show and you can find something about it on the web or contact him someway. He did exactly what you want to do and it seemed somewhat easier to obtain than the way others do it. If you do fix up a bike let me know. Once you qualify I'll rent it for two passes and get my own red hat, or that might be a little too feather legged now too. Good luck and keep us posted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.