Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
minimum speeds to qualify for 200mph club

This site lists the minimum speeds required to get you into the 200mph club at Bonneville: "http://www.bonneville200mph.org/2004_motorcycle_records_and_mini.htm"

I believe you have to break an existing record or achieve the minimum speed for each class. Just going 200mph won't get you into the club. THe only class where 200mph works is S/VG-500 (a 500cc gas class). The worst example is that you will have to beat 332.410mph (Sam Wheeler's EZ Hook streamliner) in class S/BF-1350 in order to get into the 200mph club.

By the way, road race leathers probably aren't allowed - you can't have any perforations or expanding joints. Read the rule book carefully.

I would just buy an obsolete Nascar car for $50 or $70 grand or so (a long track one) and just have fun. I plan on doing just that as soon as I win the lottery.

"My question is, where can somebody go all out without resorting to Bonneville or El Mirage ? (besides the freeway)"

I don't quite recall how I know this ;-) but I5 has bends it it at 165 that you don't even notice at 70. At least it does in a car.

Do it thru Death Valley.There,s abeautiful road the the goes down gradually and then up gradually past Dumont Dunes.And since Deah Valeey is below sealevel.that should help quite a bit.

I dunno. I only ran 150mph on my gas dragster at Ave 5 in Pomona, CA in 1958, but had about 1/2 mile to get up to speed (and another 1/2 mile to stop). Jim Hunter ran 172 there on the Bud Hood/C. B. Clausen Harley fuel dragster 2 weeks earlier. It was an isolated road back then, but is now wall to wall houses, just like everywhere else.

There used to be an unlimited speed event in Nevada each year on a Northern State highway (which they close down), but I don'k know the details. Or maybe try Montana. Going 200 on a two lane highway is dangerous due to side winds, expecially since the roads have crowns (aren't level) for water runoff.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.