Motorcycle Forums banner

Cheapest way to 200mph - has somebody already tried it?

15K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  TomSmith 
#1 ·
Like Nike says "Just Do It"

#5 ·
I speak here about what I've been told and not what I have done. With that said....

I've read, and been told that a model year 1999 Busa. would hit the two ton mark right off the showroom.

If my information is correct, it was the next year that the "nanny chip" was insalled limiting top end to about 186. There may be after market replacements for this control chip, you'll have to look. Personally, after a through investigation, I'd just go with the older cheaper bike. Spend less money, perhaps use what you've saved to trick the thing out somewhat?

You should be able to find one pretty cheap?

#6 ·
None of the stock big dogs will get there. if removal of the restriction occures, bike is lowered and mirrors removed- at sea level these bikes will just fall short. 190 is more reasonable. You will need a boost for the last 10 mph - the cheapest will be the nos as a turbo will take you farther that 200, but will cost close to 5k to get there. Best of luck. Pay for the better tires and hold the f**k on! - dont forget-any bike doing these speeds needs to have a steering stabilizer installed!

#11 ·
I'd pick a Busa or ZX12R and turbo it. You'll have to get the HP up to at-least 215 or better and learn to be very small behind the screen. Get some custom leathers with re-inforce back and hip protection.

#12 ·
I got cable a few years ago and started watching the SPEED channel and other networks that showed people working on cars and motorcycles. I can't remember the channel or show but they did a documentary showing races at the Salt Flats and how the racers prepped their bikes and cars. Most were old people working on old cars or large corporations building bullet cars out of Chevy I-4 engines, all trying to get their red ball cap signifying they broke the 200 mph mark. One guy I thought kinda cheated. He bought a Hyuabusa, tricked it out moderately, put on leathers, and boom he went getting his red cap. I wasn't all that impreseed until I got the December 2005 Motorcyclist magazine (sorry I was bored from having eye surgery and needed something to pre-occuppy myself with). I look on the second to last page and there is a 1/2 page add for Hein Gericke jackets on it. Who do you think is in the picture leaning on his Hyuabusa wearing an advertised jacket but that guy from the tv show. I found my magazine for you and the guy's name is John Noonan, world record 242.888 mph on a street bike record holder. He documented what he did on his show and you can find something about it on the web or contact him someway. He did exactly what you want to do and it seemed somewhat easier to obtain than the way others do it. If you do fix up a bike let me know. Once you qualify I'll rent it for two passes and get my own red hat, or that might be a little too feather legged now too. Good luck and keep us posted!

#13 ·
Re: Instant 200 mph, Been There, Done That!

I topped 111 on my Silverwing last summer on tour, out on a road in the desert that shall remain unnamed. What really impressed me though is that I that 111 with about 90 pounds worth of gear under the seat and in the pillion bag. Makes me wonder what I could do unburdened...

BTW, big scoots kick ass.

#14 ·
Better read the bike rulebook at the SCTA site "http://www.scta-bni.org/". They specify what leathers are required, and so forth, for El Mirage & Bonneville. It is tougher than you think to go 200 at either place. Rosamond dry lake (near El Mirage) was 10% slower than Bonneville due to soft dirt. Bonneville is about 5,000 ft altitude, so you lose a lot of horsepower there, plus you get wheelspin at any speed. The SCTA site has a video of Noonan's run (the 793B video). His bike is very loosely a "street" bike as opposed to a streamliner. I believe a guy from Del Amo Suzuki in Torrance got his GSX1000 up to 201 or so a couple of years ago. I think it was turbocharged and running nitrous, but he actually rode it to work - it was a real street bike. It is a lot easier to go 200 at sea level on asphalt, and takes a lot less horsepower. Try for the 130mph club at Bonneville first , then the 150mph club, then go for it if it works out for you - look at how few cars can do 130mph each year.

#16 ·
I just picked up my 2nd Hayabusa (also had an'01) last night. My intent is to get that sucker to 200 just so I can say I did it. My plan is to turbo it. My '01 was restricted but that was easily bypassed with a chip that made the bikes computer think it was always in 5th gear. The other benfit was the ignition timing is allowed full advance in 1st and 2nd gear. Can you say wheelie machine ? My question is, where can somebody go all out without resorting to Bonneville or El Mirage ? (besides the freeway) Oh, to stay on topic, I think the way I plan to do it is most economical in terms of safety because the Hayabusa is engineered for those speeds. BTW, breaking in a new 'Busa is a nightmare, it's no fun keeping the tach under 5000 for the first 500 mi, right when some real power is building...at least l'll be past 500 soon.

#17 ·
The beginnings of a 2 ton Charity Event.

If any MoFo's or MoFoettes knows the where abouts of Mr. Samuel Armstrong Tilley and can talk him into setting up a PayPal account, I'm good for a fiver!

This beats my 36 mpg speeding ticket atop a bicycle...and yes this was achieved while going down hill!!

#18 ·
I know nothing, having never tried this.

Having said that, whilst a turbo or tuning would make sense for prolonged speeding, surely if you want to exceed 200 mph for less than a minute, Nitrous Oxide has to be the way to go? It even has the beneficial effect of cooling the engine, helping to keep it reliable for your short time above the double-ton.

I am sure there are plenty of engineering shops out there that will want to sell you a $5k tuning or turbo package, but for a one-off experience, it has to be Nitrous.

#20 ·
I have read that 180-190 is getting close to stock top end mostly because of aerodynamics. Do you thnk a 'busa could top 200 with normal mods but more aerodynamic body work? (I went 150 once and the idea of 200 makes me do like the shaky guy in the commercial with Tiger Woods!)

#23 ·
minimum speeds to qualify for 200mph club

This site lists the minimum speeds required to get you into the 200mph club at Bonneville: "http://www.bonneville200mph.org/2004_motorcycle_records_and_mini.htm"

I believe you have to break an existing record or achieve the minimum speed for each class. Just going 200mph won't get you into the club. THe only class where 200mph works is S/VG-500 (a 500cc gas class). The worst example is that you will have to beat 332.410mph (Sam Wheeler's EZ Hook streamliner) in class S/BF-1350 in order to get into the 200mph club.

By the way, road race leathers probably aren't allowed - you can't have any perforations or expanding joints. Read the rule book carefully.

I would just buy an obsolete Nascar car for $50 or $70 grand or so (a long track one) and just have fun. I plan on doing just that as soon as I win the lottery.

#24 ·
"My question is, where can somebody go all out without resorting to Bonneville or El Mirage ? (besides the freeway)"

I don't quite recall how I know this ;-) but I5 has bends it it at 165 that you don't even notice at 70. At least it does in a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.